Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intercom in 7.x

Per the help files the Intercom feature "sets up a one-way voice path between the initiator and the destination, so the initiator can deliver a short message, regardless whether the called party is busy or idle."  But later in the description is says "The called party must manually press a key to talk to the caller".

So I'm a bit puzzled, is the Intercom feature one-way, or is there a two way option??

(Yes, I know the speed-dial/auto-answer extension option, but I don't want to consume two buttons on each phone)

Thanks in advance,

Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I thought you might ask that :-)

As I recall it, you press the 'Intercom' line button to speak back whilst the call is still open; the call is then two way.

If you have an existing call (and are being 'whispered' to) then your existing caller would be put on hold.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Brian

With the actual intercom feature, the caller makes the call (either using a preconfigured number and just pressing the intercom line button, or by pressing the intercom button then dialling) and the call automatically comes out on speakerphone at the far end.

If the far end is on a call already, the caller's voice is 'whispered' into the called person's audio such that the called person can hear the intercom caller, but the third party the called person is talking to cannot hear them.

The called person only needs to do anything if they want to talk back to the intercom caller.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron,

Thanks for the reply. When you say "The called person only needs to do anything if they want to talk back to the intercom caller." What exactly does a called party do in order to speak to the caller (the one who used Intercom)?  Do they call them back, or is there some feature within Intercom that allows an immediate response?

In our example the user A presses Intercom for user B (which is auto-dialed).

user A hears the double-beep prompt and speaks the brief message.

User B hears the message and now wants to immediately respond. Based on the help text for the Intercom feature "The called party must manually press a key to talk to the caller". Exactly what key are they referring to?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I thought you might ask that :-)

As I recall it, you press the 'Intercom' line button to speak back whilst the call is still open; the call is then two way.

If you have an existing call (and are being 'whispered' to) then your existing caller would be put on hold.

Regards

Aaron

Easy enough. Works like a charm. Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: