cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Should use a temporary phone or what? see details-

jwaskewics
Level 1
Level 1

We are starting a new installation this week of a UC540 16 user, new switch and new phones.

But, we are missing and cannot get through distribution, the one 7975 phone to complete the setup.

Should we use a different temporary phone in place of the 7975, (i.e. 7942) as a placeholder and then swap when we get the 7975; or, should we just leave it out of the config and add it later?

I know we can change things like extensions, etc.later, but the 7975 would be the second phone in line, i.e. ext 201, and we wanted to go through the wizards and let the system auto-assign things to make our process quicker.

Does Cisco, or anyone, have a recommended process in place for doing things this way.

I know this is not ideal, but we have to get moving on this project as the customer is getting itchy...

Thanks all...

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have the mac address you can add it without it being plugged

in, if you don't have it just leave it out and add it later.

But you will not use the CCA TSW after initial config. Expert mode is

very easy though to add it.

Steve DiStefano

Technology Solutions Architect - Sales

Cisco Systems

Research Triangle Park

North Carolina, U.S.A

www.cisco.com/smb

On Aug 2, 2010, at 8:00 PM, "jwaskewics"

View solution in original post

If you do it through expert mode you can do what Steve suggested and make up a mac address assigning the phone ext 201 as a placeholder. At a later point you can change the mac address when you have it.

If you do it through TSW using a temp phone would work so you can propertly assign the subsequent extensions, e.g. 202, 203, etc., to the phones you intend.

Anthony Yeung

Technical Marketing Engineer

Small Business Technolog Group

antyeung@cisco.com

Phone: 469.255.7597

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have the mac address you can add it without it being plugged

in, if you don't have it just leave it out and add it later.

But you will not use the CCA TSW after initial config. Expert mode is

very easy though to add it.

Steve DiStefano

Technology Solutions Architect - Sales

Cisco Systems

Research Triangle Park

North Carolina, U.S.A

www.cisco.com/smb

On Aug 2, 2010, at 8:00 PM, "jwaskewics"

Steven,

Thanks.

I do not have the phone nor its mac address.  I would like to reserve extension 201 for this "missing phone", what is the best way to do that and still work with the CCA TSW for the intial config?

This would normally be the 2nd phone I plug in and therefore the TSW would give it extension 201.

Please advise.

If you do it through expert mode you can do what Steve suggested and make up a mac address assigning the phone ext 201 as a placeholder. At a later point you can change the mac address when you have it.

If you do it through TSW using a temp phone would work so you can propertly assign the subsequent extensions, e.g. 202, 203, etc., to the phones you intend.

Anthony Yeung

Technical Marketing Engineer

Small Business Technolog Group

antyeung@cisco.com

Phone: 469.255.7597

Anthony,

Ok, thank you.  And thank you for the additional knowledge boost.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: