Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560-24TS-SMI Switch IOS Question

esturao
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All -

I have two Cisco 3560 SMI switches that were given to me at work and I am wondering if I can upgrade both switches to EMI? I have read somewhere you can buy the upgrade and some people say you have to buy the switch with EMI image only. Just writing to verify. Does Cisco offer the image for a reduced price for study purposes only? Wishful thinking ;-).

Also which version would you recommend for practice lab? The latest Cisco Catalyst 3560 switch, running IOS 12.2 Advanced IP Services?

Maria Esturao

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vragotha
Level 3
Level 3

Maria,

You can upgrade to EMI using the Catalyst 3560 EMI Upgrade Kit. I don't believe Cisco offers IOS images on discounts. You can contact your Cisco reseller and purchase the upgrade kit. With regards to your second question, the newer images in 12.2 offer more features and stability in terms of bug fixes. The Advanced IP Services feature set is not available anymore for newer images on the 3560s and has been replaced by IP Services.

VR

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Talk to the Cisco authorized reseller.  Your question is straightforward but the reseller may be able to provide some discounts.

vragotha
Level 3
Level 3

Maria,

You can upgrade to EMI using the Catalyst 3560 EMI Upgrade Kit. I don't believe Cisco offers IOS images on discounts. You can contact your Cisco reseller and purchase the upgrade kit. With regards to your second question, the newer images in 12.2 offer more features and stability in terms of bug fixes. The Advanced IP Services feature set is not available anymore for newer images on the 3560s and has been replaced by IP Services.

VR

You can upgrade to EMI using the Catalyst 3560 EMI Upgrade Kit

Errrrr ... What "upgrade kit"?  The only switch, if I recalled, that needed an upgrade kit to "EMI" is the 3550.

Vijay - Thank you!! Your answer was 100% correct.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card