cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IKE NAT-T

balajirajahpb
Level 1
Level 1

I tested from iPad Cisco client using 3G is specifically looking for IKE NAT-T to be enabled to establish the remote VPN tunnel.

My case is as below

I'm using ASA 5520 without IKE NAT-T enable but for IPSEC I have NAT-T enabled for some tunnel and for few not.

Similarly I know IKE NAT-T is globally configured.

I have remote access VPN, Anyconnect and site to site VPN on the same device.

My question is

1.     If I enable IKE NAT-T globally what will happen to the existing Site to Site VPN tunnel? I hope that active tunnel will not disturb but if a new tunnel is trying to negotiate will that have problem.

2.     What will be the implication for creating new site to site tunnel if the IKE NAT-T is enabled?

3.     My entire site to site remote peer is not having the IKE NAT-T enabled.

Regards

BR

1 Reply 1

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There will be no implication for the existing VPN connections.

To answer your questions:

1) It will not impact your existing L2L tunnel

2) It will also not impact new L2L tunnel

3) Same, it will also not impact your remote users.

NAT-T is negotiated during the phase 1 negotiation. What will happen is if it detected that the remote user/L2L VPN is behind a NAT device, then it will negotiate the tunnel to use NAT-T (UDP encapsulated ESP packet - normally by default it's UDP/4500). If during the negotiation, it does not detect that the device is behind a NAT device, then it will continue to just use ESP.

Hope that answers your questions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card