Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5510 hangs once a month

Geert Reijnders
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a question.

Our Cisco ASA hangs once a month with ssl vpn. It loads the login screen but that's it.I can't login or what so ever..

When I restart the ASA everythings works fine.

Has anyone here experienced this problem also? I have no idea where to look for this problem..

Thanks.

Geert Reijnders

5 Replies 5

Todd Pula
Level 7
Level 7

This is more than likely related to a memory leak. What version of ASA code are you currently running?  You may want to disable WebVPN caching as a first step and then monitor the memory utilization on the appliance.  If the issue persists, we will need to enable some memory tracking features in order to isolate further.

R1-ASA5505-01# conf t
R1-ASA5505-01(config)# webvpn
R1-ASA5505-01(config-webvpn)# cache
R1-ASA5505-01(config-webvpn-cache)# disable

Thanks for quick reply.

I just disabled the cache for the webvpn. Hopefully this will help. I will update this as I know something more.

As you can see, the memory usage is pretty high...

SSL-Firewall# sh mem

Free memory:       104391152 bytes (39%)

Used memory:       164044304 bytes (61%)

-------------     ----------------

Total memory:      268435456 bytes (100%)

look at the cpu and mem when the webvpn hangs

What is the purpose of the webvpn cache for. ?

Webvpn cache is like any other cache. Stores data in fast memory so that it can be reused frequently. Refer here for details :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/webvpn.html#wp1046565

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: