Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet

harisapkota123
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all

I don't think,there is  a fix TTL value in every packet, i want to know, how ttl is managed in internet connection, where

the packet has to traverse across thousands of hops, please can u help me to avoid this confusion?

and what are the factors, that effects to assign the initial TTL value in a packet.

Thanks for a kind  response

2 Replies 2

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Typically, the TTL value is set as per RFCs (1700 for example) which specify a value of 64 for IP packets. But different OS manufacturers use different values (between 1 to 255). Windows sets it at 128 (it can be changed through modifying registry values).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053

Similarly, when you are doing traceroute, the TTL value will be started at 1 and for every hop, it will be incremented.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

NT

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

Hari,

TTL eventhough is time to live is decremented on everyhops (earlier RFC recommended a 1 sec decrement per hop)

Its a misconception that the packet has to travel through 1000 hops across the internet.

For eg: ive personally checked that it takes less than 20-25 hops between two nodes seperated by 5000 miles

You may check with a trace to google.com and confirm..-:)

The packets are decremented everyhop, starting from the value implemented w.r.t to the IP stack for that OS till the value reaches 0 and then would die.

The max value being 255 since TTL has 8 bits in the IP Packet header.

Hope to help,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card