cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN through multiple switches

c.zwicker
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to setup a VLAN in my office for wireless. This is what I want to do.

Outside Internet ----> cisco 4006  (CatOS)

From the 4006 I have 2 fiber connections to a C3500 switch, then multiple switches attached there. On one of those switches I want to place to 2 wireless routers for the office.

Is is possible to setup the VLAN to pass through all those switches designated to specific ports, but allow the other ports to work as they have on the default VLAN?

12 Replies 12

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

c.zwicker wrote:

We are looking to setup a VLAN in my office for wireless. This is what I want to do.

Outside Internet ----> cisco 4006  (CatOS)

From the 4006 I have 2 fiber connections to a C3500 switch, then multiple switches attached there. On one of those switches I want to place to 2 wireless routers for the office.

Is is possible to setup the VLAN to pass through all those switches designated to specific ports, but allow the other ports to work as they have on the default VLAN?

Charles

Not sure i fully understand. If you want multiple vlans on your switches then simply make sure your switch connections are trunk links. Then you simply allocate ports onto the switch into whichever vlan you want. As long as the vlan is on all switches and the trunk links allow that vlan then it should work fine.

If i have misunderstood please clarify.

Jon

I want to setup one VLAN, but have it span across multiple switches to its destination ports.

So what I did was setup VLAN2 on the 4006 switch.

The next switch is a C3500 which is connected via 2 fiber links.

From there one fiber link runs too another 3500 where I want 2 ports to be designated to be on that VLAN for the wireless.

So do I just specify those two ports as being on VLAN2 or is there something that also needs to be done on the other C3500.

Sorry about the poor explanation, just getting into cisco and this is the first project dropped on me.

c.zwicker wrote:

I want to setup one VLAN, but have it span across multiple switches to its destination ports.

So what I did was setup VLAN2 on the 4006 switch.

The next switch is a C3500 which is connected via 2 fiber links.

From there one fiber link runs too another 3500 where I want 2 ports to be designated to be on that VLAN for the wireless.

So do I just specify those two ports as being on VLAN2 or is there something that also needs to be done on the other C3500.

Sorry about the poor explanation, just getting into cisco and this is the first project dropped on me.

Charles

No problem. So is the topology ->

4006 -> C3500_1 -> c3500_2   and you want 2 ports on c3500_2 to be in vlan 2 ? If so -

1) vlan 2 should be created on all switches ie. "sh vlan brief" should show a vlan 2 on all switches

2) if you have multiple vlans on these switches then the fiber connections on each switch need to be configured as trunks

then you simply allocate your 2 ports into vlan 2 on c3500_2 and you will be able to send vlan 2 traffic between c3500_2 and 4006 via c3500_1

Again if i have misunderstood please clarify further.

Jon

Hi,

You need to create the vlan (vlan 2) on all the switches in the path between 4006 and the end 3500 switch.

If you are running VTP in your network configuring it on the server will propagate the vlan to all the switches in the network, assuming that you are running trunking to all the switches int the network.

The bottom line is that you need to configure the vlan on all the switches.

JayaKrishna

You guys are on the right path for what I'm trying to do.

I setup vtp on the 4006 (catOS) and everything appears correct. So all that information should propagate through the other switches and automatically create vlan 2 through-out? As of right not 3500_1 isn't updating to reflect the changes on the 4006.

Or do I create vlan 2 on all switches with a matching domain name and VLAN name then they all work together?

Hi Charles,

Thank you so much to initiate this interesting discussion :

These are the point which would like to share with you here :

• Create a common VTP Domain Name on all the Switch connected.
  • Check the VTP Domain Status ,Should be Server and All other switch connected should be in client mode.
  • All other Switches should connected to each other via trunk port to flow the vlan information from VTP Server Switch to VTP Client.
  • Create VLAN on the VTP Server Switch and check on the VTP Client Switch ,you 'll see all the update from Server to Client.

Please feel free to share any clarification you need on it.

This Brat is seeking any kinds of input from you.

Thank& Regards

Vinod Agrahari

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Great!  4006 (with Sup4013) and 3500XL ... Batman and Robin! 

Don't forget that with the 3500XL, you need to go into the VLAN Database to create a VLAN instance.

Switch#vlan database

vlan 2

name BLAH

exit

For security (and sanity) sake, please enable VTP Mode "client", enable the VTP Domain and give it a password on your 3500XL.

c.zwicker
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help everyone. I believe I have everything set up correctly but not getting any internet on the end.

show vtp status on the 3 routers all match up. The 4006 is set as vtp server, the 3500_1 and 3500_2 both are clients and on 3500_2 the ports are enabled correctly.

I enabled trunk on the nessessary ports and the document I followed had me set "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q".

What can I provide to you guys to help me get this off the ground?

Charles

What device provides connectivity to the internet. I'm assuming it isn't the 4006 as you probably need NAT somewhere in your setup and the 4006 doesn't do NAT.

On that device can you check that it has a route back to vlan 2 ?

Jon

On your devices that you are going to go to the internet on what are you using as the default gateway ?  It would have to be the address  of the device that is doing the natting for the internet connection .   You will need to know that address before going any further.

c.zwicker
Level 1
Level 1

The device providing internet connectivity is an old Linksys EZXS88R. I will have to do some research on what its capabilities are. I haven't made a single change to that during this process.

c.zwicker
Level 1
Level 1

Restarted the Linksys switch and everything starting working.

Thanks for the help guys.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card