cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What does this accomplish " PPP Multilink queue depth qos <number>" ?

Bobby Villegas
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I have a router with 2 serials configure, they are both bonded with a multilink interface. I noticed a command under the "interface multilink 1" command, "ppp multilink queue depth qos 3".  What does this command do?

Thanks

BV

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I am not aware of a specific doc for this.

tx_limited = 1(2) << the number in the paranthesis is what I was referring to.

Yes, with qos (service-policy) applied, IOS will autmatically tune it down to 2 packets, per my earlier comment.

-Arun

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

delete

abaskara
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

When you have qos configured, it takes effect only when there is "congestion" on the interface. Congestion is detected when the queue gets filled up. Having a lower queue depth is a good idea when you have RTP (Voice) type of traffic, so that QOS kicks in quickly to service the latency sensitive traffic. By default, when you apply a service-policy to the Multilink, the queue depth is 2 packets.

To take it further, you can do "sh controller | in tx_limit" and you will see this number reflected, when you have qos configured.

The default for FIFO is 8 packets.

HTH.

-Arun

abaskara,

Is there any docs on this? I did issue show command you stated on the last reply. This is what I got:

chip_state = 2, ds->tx_limited = 0
  chip_state = 3, ds->tx_limited = 0
tx_limited = 1(2), errata19 count1 - 0, count2 - 0
tx_limited = 1(2), errata19 count1 - 0, count2 - 0

You stated "To take it further, you can do "sh controller | in tx_limit" and you  will see this number reflected, when you have qos configured", where is the 2 packets reflected? tx_limited = 1(2) or count2.

I did remove " ppp multilink queue depth qos 3" from the multlink interface. The above output is after I removed the depth command.

I do have a service policy with voip class maps on the multilink interface.

Thanks

Hi,

I am not aware of a specific doc for this.

tx_limited = 1(2) << the number in the paranthesis is what I was referring to.

Yes, with qos (service-policy) applied, IOS will autmatically tune it down to 2 packets, per my earlier comment.

-Arun

Thanks Arun,

This really helped out!!

Bobby

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card