Views
Helpful
Replies

Direct FXO Trunk Line and CUE

networkwise
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have UC540 that originally I configured from CLI and after talking with SMB support is was recomended I configure the unit using CCA. I went ahead and started a fresh usning the cme factory default config and reset the CUE to factory.

I have an FXO connected to the UC540 that has voice mail on it through the provider stutter dial tone etc. However I wanted to configure the line to use CUE and the provider VM as a backup should the CUE be down. This is a shared line and a number of phones have this line on a button.

I configured the UC540 so that I could sieze the FXO line directly from a button on any phone (dial tone from the CO) and also in a way that when calls come into this fxo port they ring down to all the phones (shared line )

I tried to configure this through CCA and this is what CCA produced below.

!

voice-port 0/1/0

connection plar opx 3A10

description Configured by CCA CO Line - 0/1/0-CO0

caller-id enable

!

ephone-dn 297 dual-line

number 3A10 no-reg primary

label 720-224-XXXX

trunk A0 monitor-port 0/1/0

And it works all phones ring and I can select the line and get CO dialtone. I notice the CCA used the number 3A10 to ring down to which works.

When I now try to configure voice mail a GDM so all phones can access the mailbox CUE does not recognise the 3A10 as a valid number.

I realize that I could make the FXO ring down to an all numeric DN like below, then in CUE associate 3333 with a GDM.

I was trying to stick with the CCA generated config, Is there any other way to do this so I could stay with the CCA generated config??

voice-port 0/1/0

connection plar opx 3333

caller-id enable

!

ephone-dn 297 dual-line

number 3333 no-reg primary

label 720-224-XXXX

Any advise would be appreciated.

Andy

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To my knowledge, CUE only supports numeric extensions. You'll either need to modify the plar/ephone-dn config or add a translation rule to translate the called number to something numeric. Changing the plar/ephone-dn config seems the most simple.

Brandon

View solution in original post

antyeung
Level 4
Level 4

Can you attach your configurations - show run?

"When I now try to configure voice mail a  GDM so all phones can access the mailbox CUE does not recognise the 3A10  as a valid number."

Do each of the phones have a primary extension/mailbox?

If the only line appearance on the phone is the CO line CCA would not create a mailbox for that phone. When the line button goes offhook it gets dial-tone from the CO instead of CME. If you press the message button the phone would go offhook again and get dial-tone from the CO so it wouldn't be able to reach CUE. Unless if you are doing overlay or have a primary ext assigned to the phones?

Some other ideas to throw out there...

-Create an overlay with CO line on a primary extension (coming in CCA 2.2.5)

-Assign primary extensions to each phone, forward calls from the FXO line to a call-blast group that each phone is a member of. GDM would be created by default for the call blast group.

--
Anthony Yeung
Technical Marketing Engineer
Small Business Technolog Group
antyeung@cisco.com
Phone: 469.255.7597

No, the DN will need to be three digits for MWI to work. The ... in A801... represent the number of digits in your extensions. If it is different, MWI will not work. Any reason you can't make the plar/ephone-dn 3 digits?

Hope this helps.

Brandon

7 Replies 7

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To my knowledge, CUE only supports numeric extensions. You'll either need to modify the plar/ephone-dn config or add a translation rule to translate the called number to something numeric. Changing the plar/ephone-dn config seems the most simple.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the confirmation I went ahead and modified the config from the CLI. The config is below. And it works I can now leave voice mail in the GDM for this shared line.

!
voice-port 0/1/0
connection plar opx 720224xxxx
caller-id enable
!
ephone-dn  297  dual-line
number 720224xxxx
label 720-224-xxxx
description framework main number
name framework
call-forward busy 399
call-forward noan 399 timeout 20
!

As far as the MWI, because I am using the fulle E164 as the number will the MWI on off still work? The internal extions are all 3 digit as you can se below, would I need to modify that??

!
ephone-dn  299
number A801... no-reg primary
mwi off
!
!
ephone-dn  300
number A800... no-reg primary
mwi on

Thanks for your help Brandon,

Andy

No, the DN will need to be three digits for MWI to work. The ... in A801... represent the number of digits in your extensions. If it is different, MWI will not work. Any reason you can't make the plar/ephone-dn 3 digits?

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

There is no reason why I could not make the PLAR ring down number 3 digits.

Thanks for the advise Brandon.

Andy

antyeung
Level 4
Level 4

Can you attach your configurations - show run?

"When I now try to configure voice mail a  GDM so all phones can access the mailbox CUE does not recognise the 3A10  as a valid number."

Do each of the phones have a primary extension/mailbox?

If the only line appearance on the phone is the CO line CCA would not create a mailbox for that phone. When the line button goes offhook it gets dial-tone from the CO instead of CME. If you press the message button the phone would go offhook again and get dial-tone from the CO so it wouldn't be able to reach CUE. Unless if you are doing overlay or have a primary ext assigned to the phones?

Some other ideas to throw out there...

-Create an overlay with CO line on a primary extension (coming in CCA 2.2.5)

-Assign primary extensions to each phone, forward calls from the FXO line to a call-blast group that each phone is a member of. GDM would be created by default for the call blast group.

--
Anthony Yeung
antyeung@cisco.com

Hi Anthony,

Yes all phones have a primary extension. The GDM is being accessed by the phones primary 3 digit extension then I press 9 for the GDM options. I have not used blast groups before this is probably a viable solution also.

The changing of the number to numeric from alpha numeric cured the voicemail problem, and Brandon's suggestion to shorten the extension number to 3 digit cured the MWI issue.

I will take a look a the blast groups also. For now Im all set, thanks for the help.

I have a question about the CUE voicemail config I have been using the CLI is it recommended to do the CUE config with CCA or can you use the CUE Web GUI

Brandon and Anthony thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Good to hear that you're all set.

In regards to your question it's best to use CCA for all configurations for the UC540/60 and also for the UC520 if you plan to use CCA. The main reason is for support. The UC540/60 is covered by Small Business Pro Services and the UC520 is covered by SmartNET. There's a lot of threads in the community covering the support differences between the two, but in short SB Pro Service support is done through CCA.

--
Anthony Yeung
antyeung@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: