Problems with video monitoring software and WVC2300

Unanswered Question
Aug 3rd, 2010

I recently installed 5 WVC2300's on a clients site, and I am having difficulty using the SMVMS16 software.

All the cameras working via a web browser.  Three of the cameras are direct connects, two are wireless.

They all are set up the same, static ip's, 320x240 normal MPEG4. The machine used to monitor the cameras in-office is Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

The cameras do not consistanty show up using the 6 camera layout.  Sometimes all connect, sometimes only 3 or 4, sometimes cameras 'drop off'' the display.  I have upgraded the firmware to the newest rev., as well as the software.

Any idea of why?

My client also monitors the cameras from home, using a Vista 64 bit computer with similiar results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Hornstein Thu, 08/05/2010 - 22:11

Hello  Richard,

The datasheet on the  free Software Video Monitoring System for 16 Cameras (SWVMS16) mentions  the following;

Operating system

Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 (32-bit & 64-bit) or Microsoft Vista (32-bit & 64-bit)

No mention of Windows 7, this could be because the datasheet is old.

But I also wonder if you can try running the free application in XP compatibility mode on your Win & 64bits;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

I have also put the feelers out to my Physical Surveillance  engineering team to see if there is an issue with Win7 64bits  or if the datasheet needs updating.

But,  until I get an update from my engineers, why not run in  XP compatibility mode?

It sure might be a viable option that microsoft have made available to folks.  Check that microsoft URL mentioned above.

regards Dave

richardsafier Sat, 08/07/2010 - 07:23

Thank you David, I will try running as suggested.

I will let you know the results.

Regards,

Dick Safier

David Hornstein Sat, 08/07/2010 - 11:03

Hi Richard,

Just as a follow up..i corresponded with a Product Engineer and he is actually running his application on a windows 7 64 bit machine.

Dave

richardsafier Sat, 08/07/2010 - 20:11

Thanks Dave,

Well, I guess that eliminates that variable and leave me in the same place.

Do you have any other ideas?

In my research I found another site with similar issues who back-reved to an earlier rev. to fix it.

Dick Safier

David Hornstein Sat, 08/07/2010 - 21:17

Hi Richard,

The Anecdotal information you gave,  that it streams ok to web interface, but can be a bit choppy on the free application, is telling.. 

hmmm  Are you using the current application," Internet Camera Video Monitoring Software"  version 1.2.1 ?

I can think that you have two choices.;

1. Ring SBSC  and see if they have seen this before and
    • If they have no answer, then ask the good folk there to  escalate the issue  for a resolution.

2. keep monitoring the post to see if anyone else has resolved a similar issue.

I would hate the idea of retrograding the IP camera  monitoring software.

regards Dave

richardsafier Sun, 08/08/2010 - 17:00

Thanks again Dave,

I am using the current software 1.2.1 I will give support a call and try to work with them.

It seems the problem lies with the fact that 5 cameras are trying to display simultaneously. I have stepped the cameras down as described but at first glance appears to be a bandwidth issue. The problem is exactly the same remotely, so I don't know what to think.

Regards,

Dick Safier

David Hornstein Sun, 08/08/2010 - 19:22

Hi Richard,

I have run four camera locally and also received a stream from East coast USA remotely and run a webex at the same time to many many people from my home broadband connection.  No real problems, or should i say only problems I expected .

Nope,  still doesn't make sense especially since you said that the local surveillance monitoring client is having the same problem.

Four local cameras appear choppy, I can't imaging your LAN environment running close to full utilization.  But if you have a managed switch this could verify switch port utilization.

I can only see it being choppy if your PC was made when I was a Ronald Reagan was the US president.

I have a very overworked Lenovo T60 at least 5 year old technology,  with Cisco advanced security client, virus checker and ironport security checkers and i can stream at least 5 streams at 1.2 Mbit/sec per stream.  Even at 16 streams we are still talking maybe around 20Mbit/sec of throughput on the LAN in a worst case.. Not even close to filling a FastEthernet link.

I hate to say it, but maybe you can email me the Service request number  that the Small Business TAC created to [email protected].

Just not making sense,

regards Dave

richardsafier Thu, 09/09/2010 - 12:12

Dear David,

I hate to bother you, but I have not seen the new monitoring software for WVC2300 that you implied was to be released soon.  Can you tell me where I might obtain a copy?

Also, I will need an RMA for one of my units that does not work.  What is the proper phone number to reach someone to help with this?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Dick Safier

mpyhala Thu, 09/09/2010 - 12:19

Richard,

Please call Cisco Small Business Support at 1-866-606-1866 for RMA assistance.

David Hornstein Thu, 09/09/2010 - 12:21

Hi Richard,

Absolutely a pleasure  to help

..  for RMA pretty seamless procedure try the contact numbers via the following URL;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

They will figure if it's broken and arrange for a RMA.

For the free surveillance software, I haven't started using the new software, but you are correct it will be out hopefully this month.

My fingers are crossed.    I'm not going to put a date to it, as someone in Cisco corporate may alter that date.

regards Dave

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content