Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleted enable secret

selmanagement
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We recently took over the IT Support role for a company who own a Cisco 878 series firewall.

I deleted the enable secret password by mistake thinking my main user account had sufficient privileges to access the EXEC menu but it doesn't.

I'm now stuck trying to access the EXEC level with my main user account but can't and when I try to enter a enable password it warns me no enable passwords have been set.

I know we can use the recovery mode to recover forgotten passwords but should I use the same method to create a new one?

Is there another way in?

Thank you for you assistance.

JP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

We recently took over the IT Support role for a company who own a Cisco 878 series firewall.

I deleted the enable secret password by mistake thinking my main user account had sufficient privileges to access the EXEC menu but it doesn't.

I'm now stuck trying to access the EXEC level with my main user account but can't and when I try to enter a enable password it warns me no enable passwords have been set.

I know we can use the recovery mode to recover forgotten passwords but should I use the same method to create a new one?

Is there another way in?

JP

Hi JP,

You can recover a lost enable password, but not a password that you configured with the enable secret command (enable secret password). This password is encrypted and must be replaced with a new enable secret password. That is, you will have to do a password recovery.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Is there another way in?

JP

Hi JP,

You can recover a lost enable password, but not a password that you configured with the enable secret command (enable secret password). This password is encrypted and must be replaced with a new enable secret password. That is, you will have to do a password recovery.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Thanks Ganesh for the confirmation. Will do. Cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: