cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost connection to 4402 WLC after upgrade

borgiar
Level 1
Level 1

I setup a 4402 this evening an everything was going great. The unit had v4.2.130.0, I need to upgrade to v6.0.182.0.

The upgrade guide requires the following upgrade path v4.2.130.0 >  v4.2.176.0 >  v6.0.182.0.

I began with the upgrade to .176 and everything was fine. HTTPS / SSH2 was working fine. I could ping the WLC and see both ports from the neighboring switch (cdp neigh). Then I upgrade to ver 6.0.182.0 and I could no longer HTTPS / SSH2 to the WLC. CDP neigh on the connecting switch no longer recognized one of the uplinks.

I have the switch (a Cisco 4507R) configured with a port-channel to the two WLC ports (1 and 2), the WLC is configured with LAG enabled. The port channel was still up as were both ports and no errors in the switch log.

I checked (via Console) the WLC management vlan... that seemed fine. My IP info was fine... Im sure im just overlooking something very minor... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think after sitting here for so long and trying to find it, Im having tunnel vision.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Did you upgrade the bootstrap too?

2.  Have you tried using the Service Port?

3.  I presume HTTP and Telnet are disabled?

No, I didn't touch the boot strap, as per the instructions of a co-worker. I was wondering if this could be my issue.

I am unfortunately in NYC and the WLC is located in Ottawa, Canada, and no one is available patch the management port. Our " Standards" don't include the use of the management port so I didn't even have it connected.

Yes, I did have HTTP and Telnet disabled as per out "Standards".

As of right now I am dead in the water. I had a PC with Net Meeting setup, but the screen saver was never disabled. I went ot get a bite to eat, and yeah... now im locked out, what a night. Fortunately for me, this wasn't a production device. and the site didn't have wireless in the past.

and no one is available patch the management port. Our " Standards" don't include the use of the management port so I didn't even have it connect

Don't connect it.  Just configure the IP address (and DHCP) for these types of situation. Now your only solution is to fly over a console cable or fly the WLC back.

I just have to wait until the moring and have the local contact unlock the Net Meeting machine and I will have access to the console again. I think in the future I will setup the management port until the unit is upgraded and fully functional... lesson learned.

Now I gotta figure out what is messing up port 1 on the WLC.

Thanks for the replies leolahoo.

Rich

I didn't touch the boot strap, as per the instructions of a co-worker.

In contravention to Cisco's recommendation.  He/She probably knows more than Cisco.    Upgrade the bootstrap while your at it.

Cisco recommends everyone stay away from 6.X unless you go to 6.0.199.0.  You can also go to 7.X.  Don't even bother with the 5.X.  I call the 5.X the "lost-cause" version.

borgiar
Level 1
Level 1

After regaining access to the Net Meeting machine, and consoling into the WLC all configurations looked good, but for some reason Port 1 was enabled but reporting not connected.

I performed a factory reset on the WLC and returned it to factory settings, reconfigured and the WLC came right up.

So, im not really sure "why" it happened (wish I knew), but it is up and running again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card