STP query

Answered Question
Aug 3rd, 2010
User Badges:

I have a new switch and want to connect to production network, i have configured the new switch VTP domain, password and VTP version same as production switch.

Changed the  mode to client mode, but if i keep the bridge priority as 4096 will this impect the spanning traffic flow. I thing yes as VTP and STP are two different protocol. Need expert confirmation..

Regards:

Amar

Correct Answer by Ganesh Hariharan about 6 years 10 months ago

I have a new switch and want to connect to production network, i have configured the new switch VTP domain, password and VTP version same as production switch.

Changed the  mode to client mode, but if i keep the bridge priority as 4096 will this impect the spanning traffic flow. I thing yes as VTP and STP are two different protocol. Need expert confirmation..

Regards:

Amar

Hi Amar,

Yes you are right, VTP and STP are 2 different protocols both are having different funcionality as STP is used to maintain a layer 2 loop free network where as VTP is used replicate the vlan across the switches.

STP can impact VTP  while STP is re/calculating the root switch and topology, and the network has not yet converged. In such case VTP cannot be replicated across the rest of the switches.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Ganesh Hariharan Tue, 08/03/2010 - 23:09
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Member's Choice, February 2016

Regards:

Amar

Hi Amar,

Yes you are right, VTP and STP are 2 different protocols both are having different funcionality as STP is used to maintain a layer 2 loop free network where as VTP is used replicate the vlan across the switches.

STP can impact VTP  while STP is re/calculating the root switch and topology, and the network has not yet converged. In such case VTP cannot be replicated across the rest of the switches.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Tharak Abraham Tue, 08/03/2010 - 23:47
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Amar,

Do you want the new switch to be the root ?

Its recommended to reset the domain name or delete it which makes the config revision to zero before plugging into the LAN.

If your new switch is plugged in with your given configuration, traffic might take a hit depending on which is the root switch.

Its not recommended in production networks...IMHO !

Actions

This Discussion