Helpful
Replies

ISP redundancy

sushil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two question;

1. Does any of the new code of ASA support running teo diffirent ISP in Active-active mode.i.e both ISP running simultanously?

2. Presently running ASA.One ISP terminating the and few servers in DMZ and statically natted to public IP.People in the routed world type the public IP of the server and access the respective application.

Now to have redundacy wanted to have a secondary link.If primary one goes down secondary comes up automatically.I tested in diffirent location and worked perfectly.

Now as my servers are accessed by public IP of primary it going down will bring the other server accessed by user to expire the link and then they need to log into on using the new public static IP of the secondary added ISP.

I know the workaround that my server should be registered over public domain with both primary and secondary ISP respecitve public IP address.

But in between someone brought the idea of BGP where,even primary ISP is down ,user can access the server with addresses of primay ISP (which is used by server).Well I know little about routing but not really about BGP.Hope I am posting it at right place or seems the question of routing forum.Anyways any inputs on this?  Whether possible to access using the failed public IP of ISP?

Reg,

Sushil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately ASA does not support Active/Active ISP redundancy. If you need that feature, it is best to run that on the router with BGP as ASA does not support BGP at all. To get the perfect redundancy, it would be best to own a public ip range instead of using address range allocated by your ISP. Once you own the public ip range, then you can perform redundancy for those public ip range via BGP using 2 different ISP.

Hope that answers your question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately ASA does not support Active/Active ISP redundancy. If you need that feature, it is best to run that on the router with BGP as ASA does not support BGP at all. To get the perfect redundancy, it would be best to own a public ip range instead of using address range allocated by your ISP. Once you own the public ip range, then you can perform redundancy for those public ip range via BGP using 2 different ISP.

Hope that answers your question.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card