Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to access Cisco IPS 4240 to recover password

WetPa1nt2010
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

I have recently been able to recover a password and also create a new password to log back onto the IPS 4240.

Due to the new password change I was able to access the Cisco IME to look around and check the status of the censors etc.

Also I was able to configure several settings due to having an ADMIN account to carry out these tasks.

After trying to re login in again I was able but only had the viewer access which has restricted us for the time bieng, after which I decided to carry out another password recovery which seemed to have been successful but I now encounter another problem.

I get the message after using the Login:cisco Password:cisco (for password recovery)

"Authentication Token Manipulation error"

Also ran the confreg 0x7 from the Rommon mode and also the Grub password recovery but not much look there.

Is there another way to reset the IPS back to Factory settings.

3 Replies 3

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

jobordel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On the "Token Manipulation Error", the password change script is asking for the old password one more time before accepting a new password.  If you are trying this the first time after resetting the password, you will need to enter "cisco" three times (username, password, confirming old password).  Hope this helps...

JoshB

WetPa1nt2010
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help.

I managed to get in due having the fat finger problem and typing cisco in 3 times worked.  DOH!

Thanks again for all your help and the site has become a new addition to my favorates.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card