Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Propagating VLAN across WAN

Hi All,

I know is not advisable, but I need to see the options available for this scenario.

I have about 30 remote sites (some connected via Internet IPsec tunnels and some via Wireless links).

I need to propagate a VLAN through the WAN sites for Avaya IP phones.

I've seen that L2TPv3 is an option for propagating a VLAN across a WAN (not depending on the SP) but it supports Frame Relay, Ethernet, 802.1q, HDLC, PPP (so does it support an underlying Wireless link?)

Is there any other option considering I don't want to depend on the SP and we're not using MPLS?

Thank you for any help.

Federico.

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could use QinQ or you could use something like an Adtran and break out your WAN connection to serial and L2 bridging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.1QinQ

Collin,

Can I configure QinQ on both sides of the WAN (on my routers) and that's it? Or do I need the SP involved?

Federico.

No SP involvement is necessary. Check the feature navigator as it is not supported on all devices.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

coto.fusionet wrote:

Hi All,

I know is not advisable, but I need to see the options available for this scenario.

I have about 30 remote sites (some connected via Internet IPsec tunnels and some via Wireless links).

I need to propagate a VLAN through the WAN sites for Avaya IP phones.

I've seen that L2TPv3 is an option for propagating a VLAN across a WAN (not depending on the SP) but it supports Frame Relay, Ethernet, 802.1q, HDLC, PPP (so does it support an underlying Wireless link?)

Is there any other option considering I don't want to depend on the SP and we're not using MPLS?

Thank you for any help.

Federico.

Federico

If your devices support it then L2TPv3 is the way to go ie. most routers do support it most switches don't.

When you ask about it supporting underlying wireless link that doesn't matter because L2TPv3 doesn't care about the actual media as such but rather about the L2 protocol running acorss the media so assuming your wireless is running ethernet you should be fine.

I'm not sure Q-in-Q will actually help across a routed network although i may be wrong. My understanding is Q-in-Q works when the sites are connected via a L2 vlan already and you want to send your own vlans across that.

Jon

John,

Thank you I will look into L2TPv3

Collin,

I did not gave you a 2 in score. Honestly I don't know what happened. Has this happened before?

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card