Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch error nvlog_crash_hook:System crashed on slot 7. Check

Hi

My cisco 6513 running OS "s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin" rebooted autoatically and stuck in rommon mode and i am getting the below error in nvram .

"

nvlog_crash_hook:System crashed on slot 7. Check

value of Rommon variable CRASHINFO "

What can be the issue and what this error in nvrm loggs mean

Regards

3 Replies 3

Brandon Lynch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Rupam,

This error indicates that your SUP is crashing when trying to boot up.  Are you getting any other errors on boot?  Please do the following -

1) Set your terminal program to log your session.

2) Hard-reset the device and log the full boot session until the SUP crashes again.

Please attach the log.  You may also want to check the following -

- Configuration register is set to 0x2102 on both the RP and SP.  To confirm the SP's is set correct, break into ROMMON when the SUP first comes online using Ctrl+Break.  Then, issue the following -

rommon > confreg 0x2102

To set it on the RP, break into the RP's ROMMON version and set the same command.  You will need to issue Ctrl+Break after you see that ownership has been passed to the route processor in the boot cycle.

- If the SUP still fails, you can try breaking into the RP's ROMMON and setting the configuration-register to 0x2142 to ignore the startup-config and see if the SUP will boot.

- You can also try to boot a different image or an image on a different file system if any others are available.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brandon

HI Brandon

Thanks for your reply.

I just rebooted the switch and it booted, but my problem is it crashed automatically with the following msg in crash dump:

005647: Aug  4 01:50:02.751 IST: %ERR_DET-5-ERR_DET_NO_EOBC_INPUT: No EOBC input, dump debuginfo, interval 10, times 3
005648: Aug  4 01:50:05.347 IST: %CPU_MONITOR-6-NOT_HEARD: CPU_MONITOR messages have not been heard for 91 seconds [7/0]
005649: Aug  4 01:50:35.348 IST: %CPU_MONITOR-6-NOT_HEARD: CPU_MONITOR messages have not been heard for 121 seconds [7/0]
005650: Aug  4 01:51:05.348 IST: %CPU_MONITOR-6-NOT_HEARD: CPU_MONITOR messages have not been heard for 151 seconds [7/0]
005651: Aug  4 01:51:07.360 IST: %CPU_MONITOR-3-PEER_EXCEPTION: CPU_MONITOR peer has failed due to exception , reset by [7/0]

and in show version i can see

System returned to ROM by power on at 01:51:12 IST Wed Aug 4 2010 (SP by power on)
System restarted at 08:40:52

Last reload reason: Unknown reason

However i trace the error message and foud that as per ot the reason for reboot may be hardware or software related.

I am getting in crash dump the below message :

Breakpoint exception, CPU signal 23, PC = 0x42BA66B8

Cause 00000824 (Code 0x9): Breakpoint exception

But still not able to confirm is that due to hardware or software.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Rupam

Hey Rupam,

Were any crash files generated from the SUP?  These should be contained in 'bootflash' and 'sup-bootdisk' (or possibly 'slavebootflash' and 'slavesup-bootdisk if there are redundant SUPs).  If so, it will be best to get a TAC case opened up to investigate the crashes and try to determine what the initial trigger was and what caused the SUP to continue to crash to ROMMON.  Did you end up changing the configuration register as per my last post or did the SUP just boot up on its own after the most recent attempt?

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card