Views
Helpful
Replies

What SFP connector I have to use

goransh_pc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I want to connect a nexus 5000 to a 2960S-48TS-L what SFP connector I have to use or how I can connect both switch.

Thank you.....

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You do not have to use GLC-T to connect them (you can though). You can use one of the "user" ports as the uplink. I would suggest making it a trunk, but it will work using them as access ports (make sure they are in the same VLAN !). If you go the fiber route, both SFP's must be multimode or single mode. You can not mix a single mode SFP with a multimode SFP, but you're OK with that. I beleive the SFP-10G-SR is 10gig only so you would need to make sure you have the same on the other end.

View solution in original post

Assumptions will get you everytime. I assumed you we're connecting to a 10/100/1000 ethernet port like the ones on a 2K. Since you only have SFP ports you will have to use the GLC-T. Sorry for my assumptions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can connect them with a straight (I'm pretty sure they have auto-midix) or cross-over ethernet cable. If they are further away than 300 feet or you prefer fiber than you can use GLC-LH-SM=
which is for single mode fiber or GLC-SX-MM= which is for multimode fiber.

Hope it helps.

Thank you Collin

If I want to connect through straight or cross-over cable I have to connect a GLC-T on the nexus 5000 right ??

And Is compatible if I use a GLC-SX-MM on the 2960 and SFP-10G-SR on the nexus 5000 and connect through Fiber cabel ? or I have to connect through the same connector for example GLC-SX-MM on 2960 and GLC-SX-MM on the nexus 5000

Thnk you so much

You do not have to use GLC-T to connect them (you can though). You can use one of the "user" ports as the uplink. I would suggest making it a trunk, but it will work using them as access ports (make sure they are in the same VLAN !). If you go the fiber route, both SFP's must be multimode or single mode. You can not mix a single mode SFP with a multimode SFP, but you're OK with that. I beleive the SFP-10G-SR is 10gig only so you would need to make sure you have the same on the other end.

Thnk you Collin

One more question: when you refer to the "user" port uplink you talk about the 2960 or the Nexus, because the Nexus has L1/L2 and MGMT1 RJ-45 port, but yesterday I posted a message asking about this port, and said me that this port is for use on the future, so that's why I think that I have to use a GLC-T to connect through UTP cable because all port on the nexus are SFP.

Assumptions will get you everytime. I assumed you we're connecting to a 10/100/1000 ethernet port like the ones on a 2K. Since you only have SFP ports you will have to use the GLC-T. Sorry for my assumptions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: