Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a single network 192.168.1.0, now I want to create VLANs

Following VLANs need to be created

Servers - 192.168.1.0

Desktop -  192.168.2.0

Other - 192.168.3.0

I want desktop and other VLAN to connect to internet using 192.168.1.1 gateway, how do i configure VLAN.

Also, I want to make sure that my WSUS and EPO server is able to update all machines in the network.

I have 2 Linksys SRW2024 switche and 2 Linksys SRW2024P switch.

Pl help

Thanks in advance!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Switch user guides are a good start. there is a chapter in the link below that discusses VLAN Creation it does cover your switch model

www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/srw2048/administration/guide/SRW-US_v10_UG_A-Web.pdf

View solution in original post

Based on what you have given as your current hardware, You will not be able to create the environment you want.

The switches appear to support vlans, but you don't have anything that will route.  I cannot speak to the capabilites

of the sonicwall, but I'm assuming it is essentially a 2 port device, inside for the user domain, outside for the internet,

possibly 3 (DMZ). At any rate I doubt that it is capable of routing.

The operative word being...IF...nothing in the online docuementation indicates anything other than a layer 2 switch.

9 Replies 9

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Switch user guides are a good start. there is a chapter in the link below that discusses VLAN Creation it does cover your switch model

www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/srw2048/administration/guide/SRW-US_v10_UG_A-Web.pdf

I have checked the PDF file.

But, still I have doubt like what all things I have to keep in consideration before start setting up VLAN

Like:

On which VLAN should I keep my gateway 192.168.1.1 (Sonicwall Firewall)

Trunking.

Inter-VLAN routing..

I do I configure it, if someone can help me get a custom document which has details on planning and configuration.

As the PDF is just an standard document..

Any help is appreciated......

Based on what you have given as your current hardware, You will not be able to create the environment you want.

The switches appear to support vlans, but you don't have anything that will route.  I cannot speak to the capabilites

of the sonicwall, but I'm assuming it is essentially a 2 port device, inside for the user domain, outside for the internet,

possibly 3 (DMZ). At any rate I doubt that it is capable of routing.

So are you saying that these switch cannot do routing?

Also, want to know whether Linksys SRW2024, SRW2024P Switches are Layer 3 switch or not?

As someone told me that if they are layer 3 switch then they can do routing. is it correct?

The operative word being...IF...nothing in the online docuementation indicates anything other than a layer 2 switch.

Check this two link

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Linksys-Switch-24-PORT-10-100-1000-Poe

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Linksys-KIT-24PORT-10-100-1000GBIT-SWITCH-W-WEBVIEW-F34307-F06344

It says Linksys SRW2024P is a Layer 2/3 switch, but Linksys SRW2024 is just a Layer 2 switch.

If you can recheck and confirm about it. Thx

here is the link to the guide. There is nothing in there about routing, its just a power over ethernet version of the

2024. the only IP it does is some COS or TOS examinations of a packet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/srw2024p/administration/guide/SRW2024P_User_Guide.pdf

Will Linksys RVS4000 Router help?

For now we will not create VLAN.

we have 2 network addresses

Main office - 192.168.1.0

Branch office - 192.168.2.0

we want 192.168.2.0 users to access internet using the gateway 192.168.1.1

Also, the users in 1.0 network should be able to remote desktop to 2.0 network.

how to do the configuration for this to work.

At a minimum you need 2 Ethernet ports. one for each vlan I did not see that capability in the Linksys device, thats not to say its not there.

The cisco 1800 and 1900 have that capability. I would strongly suggest working with a qualified reseller in your locale.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card