cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Configuration Issue

Sguillen34
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to setup OSPF routing over Frame Relay and I'm having a problem getting into config-router mode on 2610 router. I'm at global config and I enter

R3#router ospf 1 and it accepts it, but stays in config so I'm not able to enter in any network statements.

R3(config)#router ospf 1
R3(config)#

Clearly the router is capable of running OSPF. I really appreciate any feedback or insight into the problem!

Thanks

Here's my config on the router:

version 12.3
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname R3
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
memory-size iomem 10
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
ip cef
no ip domain lookup
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0/0
no ip address
shutdown
half-duplex
!
interface Serial0/0
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
no frame-relay inverse-arp
!
interface Serial0/0.31 point-to-point
ip address 172.12.123.3 255.255.255.0
frame-relay interface-dlci 321
!
interface Serial0/1
no ip address
shutdown
!
no ip http server
ip classless
!
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
logging synchronous
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
exec-timeout 0 0
logging synchronous
login
line vty 5 181
exec-timeout 0 0
logging synchronous
login
!
!
end

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies 7

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I rememeber faching this issue when there is no IP interface in UP/UP state. Try configuring a loopback interface with some address and then try "router ospf". Else try bringing the frame-relay intf up and then try "router ospf"

HTH,

Nagendra

vishwancc
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I dont see the mode changing to (config-router)

R3(config)#router ospf 1
R3(config)#

Could you check in show process CPU if the ospf process is running ?

Chao

Vishwa

I checked the processes and I don't see OSPF running. My other routers don't have any loopback interfaces set, but they can still get into router config mode without an issue.

Upgrade IOS.

Raam

I wish I could try, but I have the latest IOS.

I've thought that maybe it's related to the physical interface or the fact that I'm using a point-to-point interface.

So I physically removed and reseated the serial interface. I've also tried using another physical interface and finally I've tried setting up frame relay over just the physical interface without point-to-point or multipoint and I still can't get into router config mode. I tested it with the other protocols and it works.

Is it possible that there could be a physical defect?

Sguillen34
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks so much for your help on this issue. I found the solution! It was the IOS version all along,but I didn't think it was since it displayed OSPF as an option.

I had the REMOTE ACCESS SERVER c2600-c-mz.123-26.bin version which doesn't support it so I had to get the Enterprise Basic version that supports it. Man that was frustrating!

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco