Unanswered Question
Aug 5th, 2010

Hi Everybody,

I must pause to say a big thank you to all the Net Pros that have always shown so much committment to helping other people in solving the challenges they encounter on the job. My Profession has been tremendously helped through this site.

One of the 2950 switches we use suddenly developed a problem. I discovered that all the ports led were amber colored indicating POST failure. When I logged on via console, it was displaying these messages for all the ports:

POST: Loopback test failed on fastethernet 0/1. State: Disabled

(Attached is a sample post message displayed)

Can anything be done about this, if yes how can it be tackled. I was wondering if it will be possible to load a new ios image and if that will be any help.

Thanks for your help.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
krahmani323 Thu, 08/05/2010 - 01:37

Hello Thomas,

Interfaces are failing their POST (Power on Self test) Looking at your boot sequence we can aslo the message :

00:00:10: %PLATFORM_HW-3-ASIC_BIST_FAILURE:  C2950 BIST failed for memory CBPDATA2 count 15

Error Message    PLATFORM_HW-3-ASIC_BIST_FAILURE: C2950 BIST failed for memory [chars] count [dec].

Note These messages apply only to Catalyst 2955, 2950, and 2940 switches.

Explanation   During power-on self-test (POST), the built-in memory test on the ASIC failed, which  might occur because the ASIC has a defect. [chars] is the name of the ASIC memory table, and [dec]  is the number of address failures in the built-in memory test.

Recommended Action   Copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system  log and enter it in the Output Interpreter tool..........

I don't think an IOS upgrade upgrade would fix the issue as we have POST and ASIC failure relative messages. I would definitely proceed to an RMA on the switch

A similar problem has been discussed here :

Thank you.

This Discussion