Views
Helpful
Replies

Follow on to changing MTU value on 7609 gig port

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Again

I am looking to set the value on a gig port on a 7609 to 1000 bytes to troubleshoot an issue and it seems that the only value that I can use is 9216?

IEBHCATE1(config-if)#mtu ?
  <9216-9216>  MTU size in bytes

IEBHCATE1(config-if)#mtu 1000
                         ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Is it not possibel to set the MTU value down to 1000 bytes?

Best Regards,

Michael

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

MIchael

What is the module you are trying to set it on ?

Jon

u1kumar2002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Perform show interface and see what is default MTU on interface and clear interface and clear counters.

if then also not resolving , then u can reset the interface by default command and then try to configure again.

default interface ( global config mode)

Uttam

Hi Jon

The Module I am trying to change the MTU on is a WS-X6724-SFP 24 port Gigabit Ethernet SFP and I was trying to change the MTU value to 1000 on a number of interfaces on this blade.

The default MTU value on each interface is 1500.

GigabitEthernet1/16 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
  Hardware is C6k 1000Mb 802.3, address is 0011.5cdd.ac63 (bia 0011.5cdd.ac63)
  Description: AXD-20-03 lmijtn
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

When I go into interface configuration mode and run the command "mtu ?" this is the output shown

IEBHCATE1(config)#int g1/16
IEBHCATE1(config-if)#mtu ?
  <9216-9216>  MTU size in bytes

IEBHCATE1(config-if)#mtu

Which leads me to believe that I can only change the MTU value to 9216 bytes.

Uttam: As this is a live port I cannot simply set it back to defaults. I would need to get a downtime window first. I was hoping that the MTU value was something that could be set on the fly.

What I have managed to do is set theMTU value on the VLANs that these ports are associated with to 1000 bytes, and I am waiting to hear back from the troubleshooters whether this is sufficient for their requirements.

Best Regards & Thanks for the responses.

Michael

hi

When the port  is L2 it only support  9216 I think.If you wanna make it lets say 1600 you have to use routed interface  i  mean L3 interface .

The port default came with 1500 mtu size in L2 mode whenever you wanna change the only optinon is 9216.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card