Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

i need help cisco switch 2950 series

Hi Dear all

I have trouble in my  switch cisco 2950 series    24 port  , when I have more than 2 VLAN  and make No  shutdown for one the other VlAN is shutdown , I delete the old OIS and install  new IOS , the problem it stele, and when I put the STP wire in any ether in  switch the ether become unavailable in list and I cannot show it   when I use  the  

(Show VLAN )  command  , so where the problem and how I can resolve it

The trouble like this

Switch(config)#interface  vlan 2
Switch(config-if)#no  shutdown
Switch(config-if)#exit
Switch(config)#interface vlan  3
Switch(config-if)#no shutdown
Switch(config-if)#
02:54:15:  %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Vlan3, changed state to up
02:54:15:  %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan2, changed state to administratively  down
02:54:16: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan3, changed  state to down

Hint

Also I can know How I  can reset all configuration to default factory , and how I can install the IOS   image through the ROMMON  mode 

Regards  ..

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

tariqemad wrote:

Hi Dear all

I have trouble in my  switch cisco 2950 series    24 port  , when I have more than 2 VLAN  and make No  shutdown for one the other VlAN is shutdown , I delete the old OIS and install  new IOS , the problem it stele, and when I put the STP wire in any ether in  switch the ether become unavailable in list and I cannot show it   when I use  the  

(Show VLAN )  command  , so where the problem and how I can resolve it

The trouble like this

Switch(config)#interface  vlan 2
Switch(config-if)#no  shutdown
Switch(config-if)#exit
Switch(config)#interface vlan  3
Switch(config-if)#no shutdown
Switch(config-if)#
02:54:15:  %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Vlan3, changed state to up
02:54:15:  %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan2, changed state to administratively  down
02:54:16: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan3, changed  state to down

Hint

Also I can know How I  can reset all configuration to default factory , and how I can install the IOS   image through the ROMMON  mode 

Regards  ..

Tariq

The 2950 is a L2 switch and with a L2 switch you can have multiple L2 vlans in the vlan database but only have one L3 vlan interface up and running at any one time. If you want to be able to have multiple L3 vlan interfaces up then you need a L3 switch eg. 3560/3750/4500/6500.

Jon

ok ..

just i want to know u mean the L2 switch can run only two VLAN at the same time

regards ....

Hello,

In a layer 2 switch (like 2950/2900XL/3500XL), the purpose of "interface VLAN" is to manage the switch. Since, to manage the switch, you just need one Layer 3 interface, these switches allow a single L3 interface (single interface VLAN) at any given point of time. If you try to make another interface active, the previous one will go down and so on. If you need multiple (interface vlans) to be active, you need to go for a Layer 3 capable switch. Having said that, not having "interface vlan" will not limit you from using multiple VLANs in the switch. You can have as many VLANs as you want (64 is the limit I believe). If you want to enable communication between these VLANs or if you want them to go to internet, then you need to have a router connected to the switch and you need to configure sub-interfaces on the router side.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To put it simply a 2950 can do no routing so it would not need more than a single ip address configured to manage the s

witch remotely.  All routing for the layer 2 vlans on the switch must be done thru a router or a l2/l3 switch via a trunk link to the 2950.

ok ...

thank for all body how respons with my problem and i grateful for them

Regards ..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco