Views
Helpful
Replies

interface on router

harisapkota123
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all

I think the function of an auxilary port is to maintanance  a router from remote place using a modem. In my concept a modem

is connected with internet and in the other end i connect a router aux port with modem, then i can do everything with that router

like console access. am i right or wrong, if i wrong please clear my concept with correct answer,

Thanks all

2 Replies 2

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You are correct. Typically, the aux port is used to connect a modem so you can manage the device remotely. Here is a configuration guide for accessing the router via aux port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094bbc.shtml

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

I generally put my 'out of band' managment modem on the console port instead of the aux port.  I do this because the console port will show you the boot trace; something the aux port wont do.  Also if the router is in ROMMON it's very helpful to be on the console to recover it.  The aux port is not so useful in an emergency. 

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco