cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5010 Support DHCP Server ?

goransh_pc
Level 1
Level 1

Can I configure DHCP Server on the Nexus 5010 ??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seriously, I will not call the N5K as a core since it will not route traffic. IMO, I will use a switch which is capable to do 10G switching like a C6500 or N7K.

For DHCP request, on the C6K, in the interface vlan xx, add the ip helper-address x.x.x.x, where x.x.x.x is the DHCP server's IP address.

Regards,

jerry

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Jayakrishna Mada
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

No 5010 does not support DHCP server yet. It does support DNS as of now.

JayaKrishna

So I have to configure dhcp relay on the inerface with the ip helper-address command (IOS) for a dhcp scope on the server for all VLan that I have ??

On the Nexus work ??

Not on the N5K. It is a L2 switch. You need to configure that on the L3 SVI (which ever is your N5K's uplink).

Regards,

jerry

Hello thank you for your feedback.

Sorry but I dont understand, The Nexus 5000 is a Layer 2 Switch ??

So I can not use the Nexus 5000 to Forward traffic between VLANs such as a Switch Layer 3 ??

Thank you.

That is correct, N5K is L2 only. Please take a look at the data sheet, under Product Specifications, you will not be able to find any L3 features such as routing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/data_sheet_c78-461802.html

Regards,

jerry

Thank you so much Jeye for your Help,

So if I need route traffic between VLANs I need to configure a router to do this task.

And why the nexus 5010 has route table and ip route command is permit on it.

thank you

Hi

5K does not support routing protocols but it does support inter vlan routing.

JayaKrishna

So is a Layer 3 Switch, and it can be configure to forward DHCP request ?? such as an IOS ip helper-address ???

The ip route command in the N5K is only for management traffic.

For the SVI in the N5K, you can create SVIs on the 5K, but these SVI can only be used to communicate with devices in the same VLAN. The N5K has no capability to route between the VLANs.

JayaKrishna, you need to show me how N5K will do inter-VLAN routing.

Regards,

jerry

So refer to the Jeye said, I need to configure a router o another L3 Switch to router between VLANs.

And what about with the DHCP traffic ?? How I can configure DHCP on a network with N5K Switch in the middle ??

Thank you so much !!!

The ip helper-address will be on your L3 switch's SVI (the same switch will route to the rest of your network).

Regards,

jerry

I think that the N5K do not permit create Virtual Interface because just has

interface ethernet command

interface mgmt command

interface port-channel command

Or is different that the IOS VI create command ??

I am not sure I understand your quetion. In IOS, you can create L3 SVI with interface vlan xx command. Of course, the VLAN needs to be in the vlan database first.

Regards,

jerry

Yes in IOS is interface vlan xx and that its but in Nexu N5K dont permit interface vlan command just

when you type

swicth(config)# interface ?

ethernet

mgmt

port-channel

How I create the vlan interface on N5K ??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco