Helpful
Replies

VPC questions

ambi
Level 1
Level 1

I was going through the VPc documentation and stumbled upon this

Single Homed Fabric Extender vPC Topology

The              Cisco Nexus 5000 Series             switch can support up to 12 configured single homed Fabric Extenders (576 ports) with this             topology however only 480 dual homed host servers can be configured in a vPCs with this configuration.

Is there a specific reason for supporting just 12 single homed FEX

How does the calculation of 480 dual homed servers is arrived

Ambi

2 Replies 2

Manish Tandon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ambi

The chances of a correct response will be higher if you could post Nexus 5000 related questions to that forum.

UCS FI's are not vPC peers.

I will take a stab at it ..but please do confirm with a detailed answer on the Nexus 5000 forum ..

The limitation of the number of FEX to a Nexus 5000 comes from various sides like number of fabric links, static vs port channeling, QA resources to qualify it etc. The Nexus 5000 supported upto 12 port channels with a max limit of 16. That is where I believe the number 12 comes from -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/limits.html

Thanks

--Manish

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

Hello GOP,

VPC questions
Total number of host vPC — With Enhanced vPC, each FEX port can be part of a host vPC. The host vPC does not consume port channel resources on the parent Cisco Nexus 5000 Series device. Total number of ports per host vPC — The total number of ports that can be assigned to each host vPC differs with each FEX model.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card