cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7941g firmware upgrade

Joel Fox
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I have quite a few phones that need firmware upgrades. They are new out of the box, and are running SCCP41.8-3-1S. They won't uprgade to Sccp41-9x; after doing some research I found that I need to upgrade to SCCP41.8-5.2, then they will upgrade to 9x without a problem. I have been trying unsuccessfully all day to set my laptop up as the tftp server, now I just want to get it done. We recently upgraded from CUCM 4.1 to 7.1, and the only firmware release loaded in call manager is v9. I have downloaded all of v8-5-2 files via cco, but I was told to be cautious uploading them because it was possible that the version I put up there will push out to all the phones registered, which will be a "career limiting move" on my part!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck disabling dhcp on the phone, setting up call manager info and ip statically, and for the tftp portion putting in a temporary tftp address. I am using 3comDaemon tftp server for this on my laptop.

Can anyone confirm whether or not uploading the older firmware info to the call manager tftp server will push that out to all phones? I greatly appreciate any help!

3 Replies 3

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The firmware handed out to a phone is determined by the setting on the device defaults page (as long as a phone load is not set explicitly for the phone on the phone configuration page). Existing phones would not automatically get the new firmware until they are reset. You could make the firmware version on the device defaults page the current version and then set the phone load for individual phones to the new version.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmcfg/b06devic.html

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am using 3comDaemon tftp server for this on my laptop.

Use tftpd32 instead; works like a champ. http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

Also, there is no need to mess with the device defaults for this scenario. The load server device parameter is intended for exactly this scenario. See this thread for additional discussion on the topic: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1322070

Jonathan - Thanks for your post, I did see that earlier... I have tftpd32 installed, and in the error log I see that it is looking for *.tlv and .xml files for this specific phone SEP[mac-address]. I do have it registered to the call manager, and in the Load Server field I have the IP address of my laptop. Below is a partial copy of the errors I'm getting.

Connection received from xxx.xx.xxx.xx on port 49612 [01/08 14:40:45:337

Read request for file Mode octet

File : error 2 in system call CreateFile The system cannot find the file specified.

It does this for several different files, including xml files, which I thought would have been pulled from the call manager it is registered to....

I did download the the compressed file of load information from the CCO site and uncompressed them in to a folder called "cisco", and the path is c:\cisco; which is shared out.

I have never used these tftp programs prior to this, so please bear with me if I'm overlooking the obvious! if you have any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks again!