How to read CUCM trace log

Answered Question
Aug 6th, 2010

Dear All

It's really hard to understand the CUCM trace log, is there any document can help to understand it ?

I know there is a sofeware VLT, it can translate the SDI trace file to easy understand form,but I think this is not good engough , and this software will not translate all the log.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Jason Burns about 3 years 8 months ago

Hello,

I have created this document that describes how to track an H.323 call in a CUCM trace:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-11779

I plan to create documents for SCCP and SIP at some point in the future, but this should get you started with the basics of H.323.

If you find it helpful, or have questions on the doc please feel free to rate or leave comments.

-Jason

Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Jaime Valencia Fri, 08/06/2010 - 06:25

Not really, you only understand and learn how to read logs by experience or if you're lucky enough someone gives you some training on it.

VLT digests a lot of the messages and many times you'll miss the actual error.

The only real way to read a trace is just open it in a text editor.

Traces are really meant for TAC troubleshooting purposes, so that's why you won't find a doc titled "how to read and understand traces" in CCO.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

Correct Answer
Jason Burns Fri, 08/06/2010 - 10:31

Hello,

I have created this document that describes how to track an H.323 call in a CUCM trace:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-11779

I plan to create documents for SCCP and SIP at some point in the future, but this should get you started with the basics of H.323.

If you find it helpful, or have questions on the doc please feel free to rate or leave comments.

-Jason

hfhonts123 Tue, 10/18/2011 - 02:08

What about using Triple Combo to help with reading the trace(s)?

Jaime Valencia Tue, 10/18/2011 - 04:22

If you have no experience reading traces it might help you, however just as VLT, you'll get the digested version so chances are the error message won't show up or you don't see where it fails.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted August 6, 2010 at 1:02 AM
Stats:
Replies:4 Avg. Rating:5
Views:5638 Votes:0
Shares:0