cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange Mailbox Limits with Unity 7.x

tmaurello_2
Level 1
Level 1

If a subscriber has reached their Prohibit Send limit and they pick up their phone and leave a voicemail for another subscriber, what happens to that voicemail?  I know it never gets to the recipient, but where does it go?  Are there any events or alerts that can be set to report on this event occuring?

I have read Keith's whitepaper http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/mig/E2KStore.html and the several Unity 7.x admin guides, but nothing really addreses what happens to that voicemail and how we can know that this situation occurred.

I have enabled the mailbox limit warnings through the advanced settings tool, but that only alerts the subscriber when they login to their voicemail via the TUI (these are voicemail only accounts with Exchange limits - no Outlook access) which could be hours after they thought they left voicemails for other subscribers.

Thanks,

- Tony

3 Replies 3

Scott Hills
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is covered some in the 5.x System Administration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/administration/guide/ex/5xcusag080e.html#wp1051479

How Cisco Unity Handles Full Mailboxes

What Subscribers Experience When Their Mailboxes Exceed Their Limits

Microsoft Exchange dictates the storage limits for subscriber mailboxes.  There are three storage limits in Exchange, and the Cisco Unity phone  conversation and the Cisco Unity Inbox warn subscribers when they have  reached each limit:

Issue  Warning—When subscriber mailboxes reach the specified value for this  storage limit, Cisco Unity notifies subscribers when they log on to  Cisco Unity by phone by playing the prompt, "Your Inbox is almost full.  If your Inbox exceeds its storage limit, you will not be able to send or  receive new messages. To reduce the size of your Inbox, delete some  messages now. You will be reminded to do so each time you log on until  your Inbox is no longer close to its storage limit." A similar message  is displayed in the Cisco Unity Inbox.

Prohibit  Send—When subscriber mailboxes reach the specified value for this  storage limit, subscribers are prohibited from sending messages.  Cisco Unity notifies subscribers when they log on to Cisco Unity by  phone and when they attempt to send a message by playing the prompt,  "Your Inbox is full. You cannot send new messages. Delete some messages  now." A similar message is displayed in the Cisco Unity Inbox.

Prohibit  Send and Receive—When subscriber mailboxes reach the specified value  for this storage limit, subscribers are prohibited from sending and  receiving messages. Cisco Unity notifies subscribers when they log on to  Cisco Unity by phone and when they attempt to send a message, by  playing the prompt, "Sorry. Your Inbox is full. You cannot send or  receive new messages. Please delete some messages now." A similar  message is displayed in the Cisco Unity Inbox.

Additionally, when a subscriber mailbox reaches the Prohibit Send And  Receive limit, ViewMail will not load when the subscriber starts  Outlook. The ViewMail form cannot be published until the mailbox size is  reduced.

I have not tested but based on this I would not think the message would not be saved thus the message might have to be recorded again once the limits have been addressed.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott...I saw that as well.  The problem with this mechanism is that you only find out that your mailbox is full when you login to your mailbox.  They may think that they left several voicemails for other subscribers on the system only to find out that they were attempting to leave them when their mailbox was full and the "prohibit send" condition was being enforced.

It does look like the voicemails that the person thought they left would in fact just be deleted.  It would be nice if they got stuck in the outbox instead of deleted, but that is more of an Outlook function and not part of the Unity MAPI world.

I did find some information on the Exchange side that would at least allow us to generate an Event Viewer Application Log event when mailboxes hit the different levels of restriction...

EventID 1077    over storage warning limit
EventID 1078    over prohibit send limit
EventID 1218    over prohibit send and receive limit

You have to enable Diagnostic Logging on each exchange server...(MSExchangeIS | Mailbox | Storage Limit).

- Tony

hello guys,

does unity include sent messages in the users mailbox store limit ?

thanks...J

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: