Views
Helpful
Replies

An example of question.

speculor_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have found the following question:

Which feature is required for multiple VLANs to span multiple switches?

a. A trunk to connect the switches.

b. A router to connect the switches.

c. A bridge to connect the switches.

d. A VLAN configured between the switches.

Correct answer by the author: a.

It is obvious that the answer is not really correct, because I can span multiple VLANs to multiple switches with only access ports too. Of course, with a trunk I can use less ports, but this is not explicit in the question and the text use the term "required". It is also true that the other answers are really not correct. I wondered if this type of misunderstanding could happen at Cisco exams.

4 Replies 4

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

A trunk link is required to carry multiple VLANs. And access link can only carry one vlan well two if on is for VoIP.

Mike

altheb_5
Level 1
Level 1

yes , you are corect

but i think the qustion ask about vlan database to span vlan database between multiple switches with VTP you must configure trunk

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco calls this a Multi-Vlan access port, and not a trunk port, but no matter how you look at it, it is trunk port.

Jayakrishna Mada
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, such questions will be seen. Its like choosing

which is the correct option in choices given, we don't have to look for the exact answer. But in the question here the answer is A as thats what is needed to span MULTIPLE vlans between MULTIPLE switches (assuming that the vlans are defined on all the switches).

JayaKrishna

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card