cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Identifier

ptilling
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 5508 V7.0 with 1242 AP's. Two locations one controller LAG turned on.

Vlan 2 exists at both locations with different networks behind it.  i.e. Vlan 2 in Building 1 is 10.40.2.x and Vlan 2 in Building 3 is 10.40.141.x.

On the 5508 controller how can I create an interface in Building 1, put a building 3 network to it and use Vlan 2 ?   Do I need to leave the Vlan ID field to 0 (non tagging) ?

Controller Interface Question.pdfHPC.JPG

2 Replies 2

ptilling
Level 1
Level 1

In digging I found this statement,"WLANs may be configured to drop all client data locally at the H-REAP's wired interface (known as local switching). Locally switched WLANs may optionally carry 802.1Q tagging to allow such WLANs to be segmented over the wired network at the Ethernet port of the access point."

So this leads me to believe if I set up HREAP I can use the Local VLAN2 and route traffic to services outside the local netwrok.

That is correct.  If you use HREAP, Bldg 3's VLAN 2 traffic can be dropped directly on the wire from the AP instead of backhauling to the WLC.  That traffic will then follow the local routing rules and ACL that are in place.

This is the perfect option to place traffic on a VLAN that is not L2 connected to the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card