cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network outage on WAN

mwilliams35
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to know in a domain environment if a Layer 3 configuration switch would all workstations still communicate locally even with network outage. The situation is 5 pc's plugged in on layer 3 switch with static IP addresses on each and one pc has a database shared out that all other pc's need to communicate even when network outage on WAN is down. There is no domain controlller locally due to monthly support cost.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marvin,

Yes, the 5 PCs you have locally configure, they all can talk to each other even when the WAN is down as long as they are all in the same subnet and vlan.  The only issue you could have is if the the domain controller is not local, then these PCs will not be able to authenticate when the WAN is down.  If there is no need for authentication than you are fine.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marvin,

Yes, the 5 PCs you have locally configure, they all can talk to each other even when the WAN is down as long as they are all in the same subnet and vlan.  The only issue you could have is if the the domain controller is not local, then these PCs will not be able to authenticate when the WAN is down.  If there is no need for authentication than you are fine.

HTH

Reza

By not being to authenicate with WAN they would still be able to communicate to each other under cache profile and see the shared database if I'm understanding correctly. All I want in the end is 5 workstation stay communicating even while WAN is down not having to authenicate to domain controller until WAN is back online.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco