Helpful
Replies

Live video on DMP through DME

doshinimit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have DME 1100, DMM 5.1, Video Portal 5.1 & DMP - 3305 & 4404

I want to display live video on VP users' desktop & DMPs through DME. Is it possible & how ??

Regards,

Nimit

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

as i mentioned earlier, the live streaming to the DMP displays can be accomplished using

the SA encoders.  If they want the flexibility of both, Digital Signs & Video Portal, then they

will need to have 2 cameras recording the live event.  One connected to the SA encoder

and the other connected to the DME.

Documentation to Help Setup Video Portal:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_1/dmm/user/guide/vpm.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_1/vp/user/guide/vp_51.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_1/vp/user/guide/livevid.html

Cheers!

T.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nimit,

The DME encoder is typically used for Live Events in the Video Portal (5.1 & earlier) and

Show and Share (5.2 & Later).  The media format for Live events in the above is

Windows Media.

The DMP media format for live multicast events is MPEG-TS.  For this format, you would

use a Scientific Atlanta encoder to perform this function.

What you could do is use a SA encoder and an MXE-3500 in tandem.  The SA encoder

will stream the MPEG-TS streams and the DMP can display the live events directly.

Then the MXE can take the Live MPEG-TS streams and Transcode and then stream

Windows Media so that the video portal can view them from a windows media services

broadcast point.

In the Future (nothing to mention at this time), more options and integration between the

Digital Signs & Show and Share may be available.

Cheers!

T.

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for your support.

I am already having SA and it is working fine through multicasting.

But customer also want live conference & meeting to be stream on LCD as DME is used for live streaming.

As you shared, DME live streaming can be only used for Video Portal users by configuring as video part. For this to work is streaming server required ?? Can you help me to configure live streaming for video portal ??

So there is no way to display live streaming on LCDs via DMPs ??

Regards,

Nimit

as i mentioned earlier, the live streaming to the DMP displays can be accomplished using

the SA encoders.  If they want the flexibility of both, Digital Signs & Video Portal, then they

will need to have 2 cameras recording the live event.  One connected to the SA encoder

and the other connected to the DME.

Documentation to Help Setup Video Portal:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_1/dmm/user/guide/vpm.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_1/vp/user/guide/vp_51.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_1/vp/user/guide/livevid.html

Cheers!

T.

Hi Tomas,

As per your input, to push DME live streaming to LCD & VP simultaneously we have 2 options:

1> To use MXE - 3500 & SA encoder with DME to convert Windows media format to MPEG format.

2> To use 2 cameras. one for DME live streaming to VP and another for SA encoder to LCD

But in attached screen shot; it shows that by connecting DME to SA, we can publish Live streaming on LCD.

Following is the URL for your reference:

http://www.ciscosistemas.net/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Education/SchoolsSRA_DG/SchoolsSRA_chap8.html

Regards,

Nimit

Nimit,

I answered you question based on the information that you provided and the

specifications you mentioned on the Live event using the DME.

I see the figure 8.3 that you reference but i do not understand or aware of how this works.

I do not know the model of SA encoder they are using here but AFAIK the

encoders DME & SA that I have worked with take Analog & Digital inputs and have

IP packet based outputs.  Working on this assumption, the picture is incorrect if you

follow the workflow with the arrows.

The key here is what encoder are you using to capture the Live presentations.

You mention that you will use a "DME".  And you already have an SA taking

in Live Feeds (TV or whatever) sending MPEG2 TS multicast streams to the

existing DMPs.   If I understand your original question correctly, you want

to send the "DME" Live feeds to the DMPs.

Let's break down again.

DME                  = WMV (Windows Media) Streams

SA                   = MPEG TS Streams

Show and Share (SnS) = WMV Streams

Digital Signs (DMPs) = MPEG TS Streams

MXE-3500K Live Streaming Transcoding = MPEG TS (ingest) \ WMV (egress)

Your goal was to get the DME Live streams to the Digital Signs (DMPs)

so the basics is you need to go from WMV to MPEG TS streaming.

Taking in the limitations on Encoder OUTPUT is IP Packet based and the components

listed above, at this time, I don't see how this will work without two cameras.

If we were going from MPEG TS to WMV streaming I could make this work.

Hopefully in a future release of MXE, we will add the Live transcoding of WMV to MPEG TS or the DMP

may add the support of WMV streaming.  But right now,  the easiest solution is 2 cameras for Live feeds.

If your record a live feed (wmv) and then want to play it out later on the DMPs that is not an issue.  Just have

the MXE transcode the files...

I hope this clears it up and If I am missing something someone else will chime in....

Cheers!

T.

Nimit

Tom is correct in his reply. I have been doing corporate video production and webcasting for years. The video rule is "Best Quality in...Best Quality out". Switch any multicamera setups using a video switcher and creat a single feed or Use a single camera package out in the field, with a single feed to one of your SA encoders which will also be located at the production site, back haul the unicast of the video stream at a high bitrate MPEG TS to your data center. Use the high quality stream into the MXE to transcode your files into all the codec profiles you will require for deployment to both the SnS and LCD /DMP playback. Trying to do it the other way round running dual video streams directly from an event porting to specific end points is just complicating things and not the correct way to get this done . Just as a note ...On any offsite webcasts in locations such as hotels I would suggest a secondary encoder with the very same stream running on a seperate IP connection at the event site in case of fail over.

I hope this helps.

C.O.

max_solovyov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! Does DMS 5.2 support russian language in static text or RSS?

If I had a multicast source, using different equipment (non SA), but the stream is MPEG-TS, will DMP show it?

Max,

Unfortunately in DMS 5.2.1, the Cyrillic alphabet\Unicode fonts are not

supported (AFAIK).

As for the MPEG TS streams,  Any device can provide mulitcast streaming

content as long the content in the streams is in the correct supported format

and the content is contained in a MPEG TS container.

Please refer to the DMP-4400G Data Sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9339/ps7220/data_sheet_c78-480272.html

If this answers your question, Please take time to mark this

discussion answered & rate the response.

Thank You!

T.

Thank you for the response Tomas.

Have you any suggestions, how to show Cyrilic in other ways?

Is it hard to write an add-on by Cisco to support Cyrilic? As I know, in VP 5.1 and SnS everything is fine with it.

Max,

AFAIK, there is no workaround for 5.2.x versions at this time.

In DMS 5.2.x RSS display widget has changed from HTML to Adobe Flash.

In DMS 5.1 RSS was displayed by TVZilla and it was OK with Cyrillic and many others.

Now it is displayed by Flash widget, which has no Unicode font in it, and there fore it can not display Cyrillic.
There are no way to upload Unicode fonts to this widget.

There are a lot of customers that have been affected by this and I am sure that

the Development will be or is already looking into this.  Just keep and eye on upcoming

releases to see when Cyrillic support is added...

Cheers!

T.

Thanks Tomas, I sent a request to the local cisco department in over contry, they said that would help.

Also, I have a new question to you. I heard in different WebEX'es, that we could built a TV wall, using Cisco LCD and DMP, but I didn't found any documentation about how to built or manage this wall. Can you help with it?

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Max,

Start a new post for your video wall question and I will

respond and post some files that explain the

video wall capabilities.

In your post please describe what you are looking to

do with the video wall and how many displays are you

looking at.

Starting a new thread for a New Question or subject is

always best so that others viewing the forum see the

different questions & responses based on a unique

Subject or Topic.

Thanks

T.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: