Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP "show ip bgp summary" output question

Dear All,

My name is Michael, I'm working at SkyVision golobal ip connectivity company.

Recently when doing show ip bgp summary i've discovered something new:

<neighbor IP>  4        <neighbor as>      10   21914        1    0  599 00:06:19        1 (SE)

<neighbor IP>  4        <neighbor as>      10   21914        1    0  599 00:06:19        1 (SPE)

<neighbor IP>  4        <neighbor as>      10   21914        1    0  599 00:06:19        1 (PE)

I'd like to know what is the (SE) and (SPE), and (PE) stands for.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dwalton
Level 1
Level 1

The S,P,E output is displayed when there is a route-refresh in progress for that peer.

- the E is displayed if the peer has requested a route-refresh that hasn't been completed yet

- the S is displayed if the refresh for that peer has started

- the P is displayed if BGP is refreshing the neighbor starting at some table version other than zero.  It should normally start from zero so you won't see this displayed but if you have multiple peers that are out of sync and they request route-refresh at the same time then you may see the P displayed for them once they are in sync.  I wouldn't worry to much about when the P is/is not displayed.

Daniel

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

jorge.calvo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Those acronyms belong to the Hierarchy on the Service Provider Devices:

PE --> Provider Edge MPLS router

SPE --> Superstratum PE which is the router that act as Route Reflector and the router which the UPE (Underlying PE or formerly known as CE, Customer Edge) router connects to.

I do not know what the SE router is.

Hope this helps.

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Is it a Cisco router/switch, if yes .. may i know the platform and IOS..

Regards

Hitesh Vinzoda

Hi,

it's 7200 Cisco router with c7200p-spservicesk9-mz.150-1.M.bin

Guys, anyone?

Any responce?

Michael,

Have a look at the following Internet Draft. Perhaps it will help.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-libin-hierarchy-pe-bgp-mpls-vpn-02

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

I'm familiar with MPLS

(SPE) and (PE) it could be relevant to that, my concern is about (SE) can't find anywhere what it stands for

Thanks in advance

Before everyone starts thinking about it too much, this has nothing to do with MPLS. This probably reflects some changes in code which has introduced some additional states and if possible someone will provide this information over this forum.

Atif

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Michael,

could you please provide the whole sh ip bgp summary output including the field headers?

I've always seen the output like

Neighbor        V    AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down  State/PfxRcd
*192.168.3.2    4 50000       2       2        0    0    0 00:00:37        0

i.e., nothing following the  State/PfxRcd field.

BR,

Milan

Neighbor         V           AS     MsgRcvd    MsgSent   TblVer     InQ OutQ Up/Down  State/PfxRcd

192.168.1.237   4        60000    2139       2355         13683280    0    0         1d11h           4 (SE)

sometime it was (SPE) and (PE) after the prefixes.

And. by the way, after some time it disappeared. I saw it only on one AS, all the rest neighbors and AS never show that.

dwalton
Level 1
Level 1

The S,P,E output is displayed when there is a route-refresh in progress for that peer.

- the E is displayed if the peer has requested a route-refresh that hasn't been completed yet

- the S is displayed if the refresh for that peer has started

- the P is displayed if BGP is refreshing the neighbor starting at some table version other than zero.  It should normally start from zero so you won't see this displayed but if you have multiple peers that are out of sync and they request route-refresh at the same time then you may see the P displayed for them once they are in sync.  I wouldn't worry to much about when the P is/is not displayed.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel!

Can you please provide link for reading about that, I was looking for a while, but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I looked in the IOS source code to figure out what the SPE meant....can't really post that here

Got it, thanks for help anyway!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco