cisco gigabit switch for AT&T uverse

Unanswered Question
Aug 9th, 2010

I have what is hopefully a simple question.  I'd like to know if any of the small business switches (e.g., the SRW2024) will work with AT&T uverse.

I have my house wired for gigabit, and am getting uverse installed this week.  I have one gigabit (rj45) line running to where my TV is, but also about a half-dozen other devices there (game consoles, slingbox, etc).

So, I need switches that can route the video and audio uverse content over the same network as the data.  Typically, I believe the AT&T installers just run direct cables for the TV's and hook them into the residential gateway.  I would prefer to use the existing wires, rather than have them tear up my house (especially given where the TV is).

The UVerse gateway (as far as I can tell from reading) supports something like IGMPv3 (or, perhaps, based on some articles, IGMPv2 with fast join/leave) and (perhaps?) 802.1p for QoS routing of the IP video and audio.  

Right now, I have a bunch of small cheap gigabit switches in the house, that are a few years (or more) old.

In order to have everything on the same network, I think I need IGMPv3; but, it's not clear.   The only explicit recommendation for a switch I've found is for the Netgear GS105NA, but I'm keen to use a CISCO switch if I can (the reviews of the Netgear, for example, are horrible in terms of reliability).

Any suggestions appreciated!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted August 9, 2010 at 5:28 AM
Stats:
Replies:0 Avg. Rating:
Views:1171 Votes:0
Shares:0