cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strategy to save sync configs (run->start)

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

I posted on this topic some time ago and I can't find the topic.  Our helpdesk personnel are tasked with port management (enable/disable ports).  Apparently there is no way, even with CiscoView, to allow a user to save/sync the running config.  I, as the admin, can run a "sync" job, but that is not good enough.  I need to allow my port admins to save the config once they have enabled/disabled ports.

So what strategy do you use in your environments?  The biggest issue we face is power.  Obviously if we lose power for longer than the UPS can sustain, the config will revert back to the last saved startup-config (upon power being restored/cold boot).

I had thought about incorporating a switch "save" feature on my IP address management tool.  Something that would use PHP/SNMP calls to save the config.  I really wish CiscoWorks had something like this built into the CiscoView product...

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

2950 - nope

3550 - nope

3750 - E series only

6509 - I believe it depends on the Sup.

EEM won't be good fit. How about we look at a cron job on the switches? We'll have to check and see if it's supported on all these platforms.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Good question, have you looked into a cron job that runs hourly and saves the config? If you have devices that support EEM, you could script that function as well.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/EEM?page=main

Collin,

Thank you for the prompt and detailed reply.  How do TCL scripts work?  It appears as though I would load this TCL script on a tftp/ftp server and exec it somehow at startup using the tclsh command.

I found this script on the EEM link you posted ( http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/EEM?page=eem&fn=script&scriptId=1103 ), but was wondering if you could give me a couple expert thoughts on how this could be implemented.  It seems as though the applets are entered into the IOS events manager, but I'm not sure if my thoughts are accurate for TCL implementation.  The best information I could find thus far is -> http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/archived-articles/374-tcling-your-cisco-router.html

Thanks again!

The script will live on flash. Most TCL scripts look for a log entry of some sort (interface going down, SNMP trap, etc) and EEM will take action on it. The script you have the link for is to backup the old configureation to flash when a change has been made. It will not save the config when the change has been made. Only a handful of switches support EEM. Can you post your hardware since EEM may not be a viable option? Meanwhile I'll try and find a script that will write the config on a change.

2950, 3550, 3750, 6509.  I know the 2950 will not be supported and I'm not sure what option I have there (besides a CiscoWorks sync archive).

2950 - nope

3550 - nope

3750 - E series only

6509 - I believe it depends on the Sup.

EEM won't be good fit. How about we look at a cron job on the switches? We'll have to check and see if it's supported on all these platforms.

Collin,

I found an article here that might be what I am looking for... http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5553313.html

That's what I meant by a cron job, I was just spelling it wrong .

Is there a way to use the recurring command to make kron execute the command every hour?

edit: It doesn't look like there is a recurring option for hours, only days/months.  Does this imply that I'll need to create a kron occurance for each hour of the day and have each of those kron jobs run as a recurring event for each day?

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe so. I'd have to dig through the configuration guide to verify.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco