cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Voice Quality - SPA525G

nsn-amagruder
Level 5
Level 5

I just installed 10 SPA525G’s using 802.11 wireless network using the UC540W and AP541.  One of the phones is experience one way choppy calls.  The wireless signal is great and is next to a phone that is not having an issue.  It seems that the calling or called party can always hear fine but the they are not able to hear clearly.

Found this post and wanted to see if there was another firmware or a way to debug the phone.  The current code is 540-8.0.2 w/ SPA525 7.4.3.

https://cisco-support.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/2021866

8 Replies 8

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Best Practice deployment guides explicitly prohibit the use of the integrated Wireless radio in the UC540 when using the AP541.

You can use the UC540 W by itself, or when you introduce an AP541, then Voice ONLY on the AP541 and you can have data SSID on the UC540 and AP541.

Thanks Steven,

I'll disable the voice WLAN on the UC540W and let you know how it works.

- Aaron

The deployment guide shows AP521's, one for voice and one for data on 16+ users.  If 2 541's were clustered, could they both serve voice and data? 

Yes, they can.

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The latest Phone FW for SPA525G is on CCO and is 7.4.6

Using CCA you can simply drag and drop the embedded .bin file to the UC500 topology icon and it will upgrade for you.

Just have to rest the phones where your ready for them to ask for the new FW.

The voice quality issues are persisting with this one phone after disabling the UC540W VoWLAN and upgrading the firmware.  It is not happening all the time but frequently.  Another phone on the desk next to the one having the issues is working without any issues.

What methods are available for troubleshooting the voice quality issues of this phone remotely?

I would RMA that phone .  Could be a bad phone.

After speaking with the customer yesterday, it was happening on multiple phones.  I asked them to call the AA and everything sounded ok.  We are using SIP Skype Trunking.  They have 5Mbps of internet bw.  They are upgrading to 10Mbps and have asked them to have the cable company run a test on the line to ensure it is functioning properly.  Not all of the external calls have bad quality.

The root of the issue was having the VoWLAN enabled on both the 541 and 540W.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: