Views
Helpful
Replies

Query regarding VPN pools in ASA

ankurs2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi halijenn / experts

I have a query regarding ASA Remote access VPN and want to know as to why ASA is facilitated to configure the IP pools one under tunnel-groups and one under group-policy.Is there any circumstance when one will override the other or is it just an option that VPN pool can be declared under any of them ?

3 Replies 3

Jitendriya Athavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the pool in group-policy overrides the tunnel-group pool

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/vpngrp.html#wp1182747

now i am not sure why the option is given in 2 places, probabaly if someone has multiple tunnel groups and wants to give ip's to all from a set of pools

Hi

I am not sure if the reason mentioned by you answers my question ; however i am looking for an example as to where it is configured and also an

explanation as to why cisco has introduced this . Can someone please guide me on this

The group policy can be selected by certificate attributes or by an authentication server.  The group policy can lock users into a specific tunnel group.  You can have more than one group policy lock users into the same tunnel group.

You use multiple group policies to change attributes based on the certificate/AAA.  If some value, like the pool, does not change for every group policy, you put it in the tunnel group as a default.  If you could not do this, you would have to separately enter the pool into each and every group policy.

Here's a simple example:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1746

Note this is why you can have three different states for some booleans, e.g.

"re-xauth enable"

"re-xauth disable"

"no re-xauth enable/no re-xauth disable"

These are three different values.  The first two override the default, the third allows the default to set the value.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: