Need to generate a report of Guest accounts due to expire in the next x days.

Unanswered Question
Aug 5th, 2010

Hi All

I have an "issue" around Guest users with a limited account lifetime.

These accounts obviously expire when the set date and times are reached.

These expired accounts then have to be manually re-activated and extended if the user is still required.

But this is a very reactive method and I am after a pro-active method of managing these account lifetimes.

There is a large contractor base here and the accounts are setup to auto expire at the end of the contract period but many times these contracts are extended but this is not generally reflected in the guest users account lifetime.

What I am after is to be able to generate a report from the WCS and get a list of guest users with expiry dates falling in the next 30 days (Then manually extend the lifetimes if required) That way we can have all the extensions in place before the accounts actually expire and cause a fault call from the user.

I have had a look through all the available reports and future remaining account lifetime does not seem to be an searchable option.

Also when the users are listed under "Security>Guest Users" on the wlc the Account Lifetime column this gives the original lifetime allocated to the account rather than remaining lifetime so no help here either.

The only way I can see of getting the remaining account lifetime is to click each individual user, which with 600 guest users is not really an option

Any suggestions would be welcome.

WCS 6.0.181.0

WLC 6.0.188.0

Regards

Colin

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Rollin Kibbe Thu, 08/12/2010 - 07:50

Hi Colin:

That's a beautiful idea!  Unfortunately, there's not anything in WCS 6 or 7 today to address that.  There's also not a publicly accessible way to WCS' database so you could have someone write something custom for you to do that.  About all you'd be able to do is have something either SNMPWalk the bsnLocalNetUserEntry table from the AIRESPACE-WIRELESS-MIB to pull the data or SSH in and run "show netuser summary", and parse it all out to give you a report.

You can also contact your local Cisco SE, Cisco account team or Cisco authorized wireless reseller, and share your idea with them.  The sales side of the house has procedures in place to accumulate customer inputs like this, and to forward them to the appropriate business units within Cisco for possible inclusion in future releases of Cisco's products.

Sincerely,

Rollin Kibbe

Network Management Systems Team

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network