Views
Helpful
Replies

Query..Router CPU Processing

arjunsawant
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all..

I just want to know which routing prorocol is more cpu intensive.

In one of my scenario i have to configure BGP or OSPF.

Thanx....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Arjun ,

Yes, your statement is true.

Link-State Versus Distance Vector

Link-state algorithms (also known as shortest path first algorithms) flood routing information to all nodes in the internetwork. Each router, however, sends only the portion of the routing table that describes the state of its own links. In link-state algorithms, each router builds a picture of the entire network in its routing tables. Distance vector algorithms (also known as Bellman-Ford algorithms) call for each router to send all or some portion of its routing table, but only to its neighbors. In essence, link-state algorithms send small updates everywhere, while distance vector algorithms send larger updates only to neighboring routers. Distance vector algorithms know only about their neighbors.

Because they converge more quickly, link-state algorithms are somewhat less prone to routing loops than distance vector algorithms. On the other hand, link-state algorithms require more CPU power and memory than distance vector algorithms. Link-state algorithms, therefore, can be more expensive to implement and support. Link-state protocols are generally more scalable than distance vector protocols

In BGP it depend upon your BGP Event. In BGP the most CPU will be utilize by BGP Scanner that run Periodically .

The process that run with BGP : BGP Scanner , BGP Router , BGP I/O.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

http://chetanress.blogspot.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi Arjun

It depend on the senario that how big is your network & What part of routing is manage by OSPF & BGP.

You will get the detail about the processes detail by using this command  "sh processes cpu "

Regards

Chetan kumar

Hi Chetan,

It's good to see u again....

I just want to know in genaeral..because as per my concern link stat routing protocol are more cpu intensive than Distance vector/path vector protocol.

Pls let me know if i m wrong.............

Thanx

Hi Arjun ,

Yes, your statement is true.

Link-State Versus Distance Vector

Link-state algorithms (also known as shortest path first algorithms) flood routing information to all nodes in the internetwork. Each router, however, sends only the portion of the routing table that describes the state of its own links. In link-state algorithms, each router builds a picture of the entire network in its routing tables. Distance vector algorithms (also known as Bellman-Ford algorithms) call for each router to send all or some portion of its routing table, but only to its neighbors. In essence, link-state algorithms send small updates everywhere, while distance vector algorithms send larger updates only to neighboring routers. Distance vector algorithms know only about their neighbors.

Because they converge more quickly, link-state algorithms are somewhat less prone to routing loops than distance vector algorithms. On the other hand, link-state algorithms require more CPU power and memory than distance vector algorithms. Link-state algorithms, therefore, can be more expensive to implement and support. Link-state protocols are generally more scalable than distance vector protocols

In BGP it depend upon your BGP Event. In BGP the most CPU will be utilize by BGP Scanner that run Periodically .

The process that run with BGP : BGP Scanner , BGP Router , BGP I/O.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Hi chetan....

Eigrp is faster convergence/loop free than OSPF...is it correct?

Thanx......

Hi Arjun,

OSPF will take More CPU processing than BGP under Same conditions..

Same conditions in the sence....In One Network you have to configure OSPF check CPU Proc. Util & Remove all config of OSPF then configure BGP then check CPU proc.. you will compare both the results.

Hope this Helps

Regards,

Srinadh.

Hi Arjun

EIGRP is faster that OSPF because of its behaviour , It keep backup route &  In Topology table it keep only best route of neighbor not the entire road map like OSPF.

But in case of Loop it totally depend on you design & configuration . Loop in EIGRP is kown as SIA.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card