PVC2300 wrong hostname

Unanswered Question
Aug 10th, 2010

we own two PVC2300. They have new hostnames in their configuration, but both registered in DNS with a wrong Hostname (CAM<mac-address>). I did a firmware update, but no chance. Has anyone a solution for me?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Tue, 08/10/2010 - 04:38

Did you try changing the hostname in the camera GUI to match?

Steve DiStefano

Technology Solutions Architect - Partner Sales

Cisco Systems

Research Triangle Park

North Carolina, U.S.A

msakar Tue, 08/10/2010 - 06:20

Yes, i did. But same result. The camere does not register itself with the name given in the setup gui.

Steven DiStefano Tue, 08/10/2010 - 06:26

Sorry I may have misunderstood.

Are you registering these with a dynamic DNS service in the cloud?

If so, the IP address you subscribed with would have to match the registered name you submitted..

Or are you doing local DNS on the LAN, in which case the static NAT IP of the Cameras would match you local DNS table (like an /etc/hosts on Unix).

The key is a static IP mapped to a name so the IP doesnt change with subsequent DHCP assignment and make your names assoications wrong...maybe?

msakar Tue, 08/10/2010 - 06:36

The camera uses DHCP to get a IP adress. As soon it gets a IP, a DNS-Entry is created on the DNS-Server. The DHCP-Server and the DNS-Server are Windows 2008 machines. Its a local Network, no dynamic DNS.

I also reserved the IP-Adresses for the cameras on the DCHP-Server. In the reservations i used the hostnames i want, but they also get overwritten by the wrong hostnames.