cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3548-XL: Authorization failed at console (but can login via telnet)

Joseph Rogers
Level 1
Level 1

I've searched and only solution I've found is to do password reset.  But I can login via telnet, so I shouldn't have to do that.  As best I can tell this switch is identically configured to another that works fine. 

Here's what I see at the console:

********************************************************************************************

% Authorization failed.

SFSW02 con0 is now available

Press RETURN to get started.

********************************************************************************************

[this pattern repeats if I press enter, so I can't login]

the configuration for the console is the same as on my other switches that don't have this problem:

line con 0
exec-timeout 60 0
privilege level 15
transport input none
stopbits 1

I'm able to login via Telnet, and I've compared the startup-config of this system with another that works fine and can't seem to find the cause of this anomalous behavior.

3 Replies 3

Asad Raza
Level 4
Level 4

what is the configuration for the 'line vty x x' ?

line vty 5 15
access-class 90 in
exec-timeout 60 0
transport input telnet
escape-character 3

on both the switch I can login to and the one I can't login to.

Josseph

The error message indicates an authorization error. To me this indicates that there is some issue with aaa and how it is configured and how it operates on this switch. Can you compare the aaa configuration of this switch to the aaa configuration of a switch that works? Can you post the aaa configuration from the switch?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card