cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Personal Communicator 8 and Outlook 2003

ssmith
Level 1
Level 1

Version 7 had an Outlook 2003 toolbar.  Am I missing something or did they take it away in version 8?  My users are not going to be happy if it's gone for good.

13 Replies 13

Thanks but that does not actually answer my question.  I'm referring to the Outlook toolbar that used to be in CUPC 7...not "click to dial" that was needed with the IP Communicator.  I realize there are some nice features with this version but if this toolbar is gone for good, it seems to me we are actually taking two steps back?  That was a great feature that my 200+ users loved.

Don't know where you spoted "IP Communicator".  The link was talking about "Personal Communicator 8.0" (CUPC 8.0).

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

kc.iefbr14
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, my users have the same problem - both in Outlook 2003 and 2007.  First issue  is - when CUPC 8 installs, it does not remove CUPC 7.  Then, with CUPC 8 running, anytime you try click-to-dial, it opens up CUPC 7 - still installed in its entirety - which logs you out of CUPC 8.

Then, when you uninstall CUPC 7, click-to-dial goes away completely.  No toolbar, unable to dial from Outlook Contact.

One would think that uninstalling CUPC 8 and then reinstalling it would fix things, but no.  Still doesn't work.

I'm opening a TAC case, but it would be nice to have the resolution posted here.

Curious to know if you ever got a resolution on this. I have same issue.

Thank you

No resolution, but a little progress in defining the problem.  It is clear that CUPC 8 takes away the toolbar entirely for Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007, whether by design or not.  In either case, it is not documented anywhere.

Also - there is still a way that you can click-to-dial with Outlook 2003.  Right-click the contact, then at the bottom of your options there is a "More Actions" selection.  When you go to there you can dial somebody using CUPC.  Formerly - with CUPC 7 - the option was "Call Using Cisco Unified Personal Communicator".  That's gone under CUPC 8.

The above applies BOTH for a machine with Outlook 2003 that previously had CUPC 7 and then CUPC 8 was installed; and for a machine with a fresh install of CUPC 8 - IOW, that never had CUPC 7.

For Outlook 2007, there is apparently no way to click-to-dial (that we've found yet, anyway).  The option "Call Using Cisco Unified Personal Communicator" also gets removed, and the toolbar is also gone.  Right-clicking a contact and using the "More Functions" selection does not include the option to dial.

I just for the life of me don't understand why they took the toobar features away.

For our company, that was the reason we originally installed it.

They will have to fix it.  As more of the 6.x and 7.x people start to migrate over, the crescendo of complaint will become deafening.

I think CUPC 8 was just not ready for primetime, especially based on what I read about the ones who tried to use the very first versions and found some seriously fundamental defects.

Did you get a work around yet?  When I call it uses the standard windows dail app.  Looking to click to dial with CUPC 8 and outlook 2003.

For 2003, you can right-click contact, Additional Actions, Call Business, etc.

-kc

For Outlook 2007 you can right click on the contact, use "Call Contact" and use provided phone number.

If there are only dots behind it (Call Contact...) you have to open one contact once, close it again and now it will work until you restart Outlook.

If you click on "Call Contact..." the standard TAPI dialog will open. This is a not solved problem (at least in my environment)

In other words: use the previously only for TAPI dialing used posibillities and it should work (with the help of a little workarround).

Best regards

Manfred

If you download CUPC 8.0(3) it has the click to dial fuctionality of 7 now.  However, I have only tested it on Office 2010.

bvanturn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CUPC 8.0 will not install an Outlook toolbar. And using the menu option is the right way to initiate calls.

Please be aware that CUPC 8.0 is a completely new client from both UE design and architecture perspectives. Lots of research especially for user experience was done before the product was developed the product. And I am sure some of the changes from the earlier versions might have been unavoidable.
The release notes document the different outlook versions and their means to leverage the built in click to call application http://tools.cisco.com/squish/777e6

Click to call is more flexible as it allows calling from much more applications.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: