Helpful
Replies

Configure Cisco 871-k9

Antoni.Moreno
Level 1
Level 1

Configure Cisco 871-k9

Hallo Everyone,

I'm trying to setup a small network with a CISCO 871-K9 switch as my gateway outside and WAN VPN firewall etc' and as my network switch inside the LAN but having a lot of problems to ping to all the clients in the network and with terminal access.

what tools i have here they are.

i have a server with windows server Ent' 2003 DNS DHCP and Active directory - with this i would like to manage the LAN.

One wireless router Dlink-DIR-300 with DD-WRT firm installed - that one i like to use as AP (already configured).

One linksys WRT610N (in replacement in cisco) - this i would like to use as AP also as soon as i have it again (in the next few days)

One cable modem With static ip from my ISP - As WAN access

Three wireless clients - that should have internet access and maybe LAN sharing but not to often

One laptop i use for managing the network and all the rest.

1.what i am asking in general is help to get the server run the LAN DHCP and DNS (will be connected with network cable).

2.The wireless router to serve as AP for the wireless clients and for me for management.

3.The switch Cisco 871-k9 for WAN FIREWALL VPN and all the rest.

Thanks on advance :-)

10 Replies 10

Antoni.Moreno
Level 1
Level 1

Ok After few more tries i managed to set it all up.

Now i only have one problem:

I Cannot get to the Internet no http,SMTP,IM,or any other connection to outside.

What i can do is ping and get reply without packet loss to the gateway and to my ISP's DNS and gateway.

Thanks on advance for any help.

Have you configured NAT on 871?

Try to "ping 4.2.2.2" and "ping 4.2.2.2 source vlan x" from router CLI. X is your inside network vlan no.

If ping 4.2.2.2 works but ping 4.2.2.2 source vlan x failed then you need to configure NAT on 871.

KK

Hi Kim thanks for the reply so here is what i got:

Protocol [ip]: 4.2.2.2
% Unknown protocol - "4.2.2.2", type "ping ?" for help
Router#ping 4.2.2.2

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 4.2.2.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
Router#

i have 3 vlan but in the meanwhile i use only the base vlan and the other two are not really configured.

And i also have NAT configured and my laptop can see the connection area is marked as like i'm connected to the internet but i can't do nothing

Iv'e added a screen shut that show the configuration and it says that the WAN port is off but it's not.

Hi,

would you collect below commands from your router from CLI(telnet)?

sh ip int b

sh run

KK

Deleted

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

FastEthernet 4 is WAN port on 871 and it should be connected to your ISP device.

It is currently up/down.

NAT and other configuration are good.

you need to bring up FE4 interface.

How do you connect 871 to your ISP? Cable modem?

KK

Hi,

FastEthernet 4 is WAN port and it was connected to the cable modem and i got connection after potting the port on but i was unable to get any internet service http or im or anything.

but i was able to ping to mz isp DNS servers

Hello,

Can you set the DNS server value in every DHCP pool and see if you are able

to browse internet? Also, if that is not working, try setting the DNS sever

to 4.2.2.2.

Regards,

NT

Hallo,

I already have the DNS servers set in every DHCP pool the thing is that every time i am able to get Internet access but some how my IP address supposed to be static is changing and then Internet connection drops and i need to set it up with the new IP.

The connection is set to obtain IP dynamicly but it's not

How can I set the WAN interface to obtain whatever IP that the cable modem obtain?

Thanks on advance.

Hi,

I managed to get WAN internet connection but i cant get HTTP access

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card