cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel limit for 2960G-48TC-L

julie.ashworth
Level 1
Level 1

From what I understand, the 2960 has a limit of 6 EtherChannels per switch stack with the lan base image. Does anyone know if the Etherchannel limitation due to physical bandwidth, or software? I really want to increase this number, and I doubt it will affect the _overall_ bandwidth through the switch. Is the only solution to purchase a different switch?

Thanks!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Julie,

the config guide says try not to configure more then 6 etherchannel.  So it seems that you can configure more than 6 but you should not.  I am assuming this is due to harware limitation.

From the config guide:

EtherChannel Configuration Guidelines

If improperly configured, some EtherChannel ports are automatically disabled to avoid network loops and other problems. Follow these guidelines to avoid configuration problems:

Do not try to configure more than 6 EtherChannels on the switch.

Configure a PAgP EtherChannel with up to eight Ethernet ports of the same type.

Configure a LACP EtherChannel with up to16 Ethernet ports of the same type. Up to eight ports can be active, and up to eight ports can be in standby mode.

Here the config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1275881

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Most likely the limitation is due to resource allocation. Every time you create an EtherChannel, the switch has to allocate resources (memory) to support the port grouping. Since most of the lower end switches are fixed configuration types, you will not have an option to increase the memory. Also, on these platforms, the I/O memory size is also fixed. A fragment of I/O memory will be used for EtherChannels. Hence, it is not advisable to have more than 6 EtherChannels on the hardware. The system could let you configure more than 6 EtherChannels at a time but if the system does not have enough memory to allocate to new EtherChannels, it will suspend some of the EtherChannels to allocate the memory to other processes (interface buffers).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

6 only , we ran into this awhile ago and ended up replacing it with a 3560 for more etherchannel

capability.

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Julie,

the config guide says try not to configure more then 6 etherchannel.  So it seems that you can configure more than 6 but you should not.  I am assuming this is due to harware limitation.

From the config guide:

EtherChannel Configuration Guidelines

If improperly configured, some EtherChannel ports are automatically disabled to avoid network loops and other problems. Follow these guidelines to avoid configuration problems:

Do not try to configure more than 6 EtherChannels on the switch.

Configure a PAgP EtherChannel with up to eight Ethernet ports of the same type.

Configure a LACP EtherChannel with up to16 Ethernet ports of the same type. Up to eight ports can be active, and up to eight ports can be in standby mode.

Here the config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1275881

HTH

Reza

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Most likely the limitation is due to resource allocation. Every time you create an EtherChannel, the switch has to allocate resources (memory) to support the port grouping. Since most of the lower end switches are fixed configuration types, you will not have an option to increase the memory. Also, on these platforms, the I/O memory size is also fixed. A fragment of I/O memory will be used for EtherChannels. Hence, it is not advisable to have more than 6 EtherChannels on the hardware. The system could let you configure more than 6 EtherChannels at a time but if the system does not have enough memory to allocate to new EtherChannels, it will suspend some of the EtherChannels to allocate the memory to other processes (interface buffers).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

6 only , we ran into this awhile ago and ended up replacing it with a 3560 for more etherchannel

capability.

julie.ashworth
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for the detailed responses. This is another situation of 'hindsight is 20/20'. Now the question is should I wait for an affordable 10GbE switch?

should I wait for an affordable 10GbE switch?

Depends.  How many 10Gb ports do you have in mind?

hi, thanks for the response. I should have be been more specific - I'm looking forward to 10gbase-t becoming more mainstream. I understand cisco has a couple of models using 10gbase-t. I'm looking for at least 10 ports 10GbE.

I'm looking for at least 10 ports 10GbE.

The most affordable model would have to be the WS-C3560E-12D.  This model also supports copper 10Gb (10GBASE-CX4) up to 15m.

Cisco Catalyst 3560-E Series Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7078/product_data_sheet0900aecd805bac22.html

If you want more expensive then it's the 4900M (modular) and the 6500E chassis with Sup720 and 6716-10Gb cards. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card