Best Practices for Setting up MailBox Quotas in Unity Connection.

Answered Question

Hi all,

I've just completed migrating from Unity 4.0.5 to Unity Connection 8.0.2c and all seems to be working well at the moment. I am looking into setting up quotas for subscriber mailboxes and I would like to find out what are the rules of thumb when assigning disc space to user mailboxes ? and How much disc space does it take for a one minute message ?

Thanks in advance for any inputs/suggestions !!!

D.

Correct Answer by David Hailey about 6 years 6 months ago

D. Tran,

Here are some things to consider:

Mailbox Quotas
Specifies a mailbox size in MB for Warning, Send, and Send/Receive Quotas on mailboxes
Can be applied system-wide and customized on a per-user basis (maximum mailbox size is 2GB)
Default Warning Quota = 12 MB (25 min of recording with G711)
Default Send Quota = 13 MB (27 min of recording with G711)
Default Send/Receive Quota = 14 MB (29 min of recording with G711)
When you use G711, the space requirements for a message are:
480Kb/min when using G.711
Message Aging Policy
If enabled, it applies system-wide but can be disabled on a per-user basis.
If disabled, no message aging policies are applied and cannot be enabled on a per-user basis.
Should you need to be more aggressive in your Message Aging Policy, you can optionally choose to move saved messages to the Deleted Items folder within a specified timeframe.  This is disabled by default.
I typically recommend giving users access to the deleted items (it allows them to access deleted messages for a period of time after they delete them). This is set in the Class of Service here:
Class of Service > Message Options > Uncheck “Delete Messages Without Saving to Deleted Items Folder”
Hope this helps.
Hailey
Please rate helpful posts!
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
David Hailey Tue, 08/10/2010 - 18:08

D. Tran,

Here are some things to consider:

Mailbox Quotas
Specifies a mailbox size in MB for Warning, Send, and Send/Receive Quotas on mailboxes
Can be applied system-wide and customized on a per-user basis (maximum mailbox size is 2GB)
Default Warning Quota = 12 MB (25 min of recording with G711)
Default Send Quota = 13 MB (27 min of recording with G711)
Default Send/Receive Quota = 14 MB (29 min of recording with G711)
When you use G711, the space requirements for a message are:
480Kb/min when using G.711
Message Aging Policy
If enabled, it applies system-wide but can be disabled on a per-user basis.
If disabled, no message aging policies are applied and cannot be enabled on a per-user basis.
Should you need to be more aggressive in your Message Aging Policy, you can optionally choose to move saved messages to the Deleted Items folder within a specified timeframe.  This is disabled by default.
I typically recommend giving users access to the deleted items (it allows them to access deleted messages for a period of time after they delete them). This is set in the Class of Service here:
Class of Service > Message Options > Uncheck “Delete Messages Without Saving to Deleted Items Folder”
Hope this helps.
Hailey
Please rate helpful posts!

Actions

This Discussion