Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade cisco asa 7.2 to asa 8.x

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to upgrade the asa version of my cisco asa 5510 from 7.2 to 8.x(latest version). Will this upgrade be smooth? Do i need to check to see if my entire configuration stay the same after upgrade? Anything to look for during this upgrade? Pls advise. Thks in advance.

4 Replies 4

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Don,

It depends on what you mean by "8.x (latest version)". If you mean 8.3, the configuration will be significantly different. If you mean the latest 8.0 or 8.2 build, things will be fairly similar but you'll still want to check the release notes for new features, open caveats, and configuration changes. Here are the ASA release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_release_notes_list.html

Hope that helps.

-Mike

terrygwazdosky
Level 1
Level 1

I went from 7.0.4 to 8.22 without any issues whatsoever.

Do you have a failover set of ASA's?  If so, you can use the zero-downtime upgrade.  After you've upgraded one of them let it become the primary and if there are major issues fail back to the other while you roll back the upgrade.

As stated above, 8.3 is a whole different story as it changes the way NAT is configured.

Allen P Chen
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

As others have mentioned, there are significant changes with NAT and ACL on ASA software version 8.3.  Here is the migration document which details these changes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa83/upgrading/migrating.html

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

THk you very much for the details. I will review before doing the upgrade.

By the way the reason why i wanted to do the upgrade is because only asa8.x supports netflow.

Cheers!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card