Views
Helpful
Replies

LUN Zoning with Nexus 5000

PrimergyQA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi forum,

I am currently preparing a test setup where it would very helpful to use LUN zoning.

I found the following  statement in the Nexus 5000 SAN Switching Configuration Guide 4.2(1)N1(1):

Cisco NX-OS software supports the following types of zoning:

LUN zoning-When combined with N port zoning, LUN zoning helps ensure that LUNs are accessible

only by specific hosts, providing a single point of control for managing heterogeneous storage-subsystem

access.

So according to this guide this option should be available right?

Unfortunately I cannot find any configuration commands.

Who can help?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Hello

Do you actually need LUN zoning?  does your storage array do LUN masking?  If so you only need standard zoning and VSAN's of you want.

Steven

Actually I am not using a storage array I am using an Emulex FC HBA in target mode.

This is not officially supported by Emulex and I am not aware of any options I can configure on the target side.

That's why I wanted the Nexus to do the job ;-)

Ahh I see...

Well I did cover this on a course a while ago, but hav never actually tried it, but have a look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080662d35.html#wp1136480

That seems to cover it.

Steven

Hi Steven,

I think I actually understood the problem and what Cisco means with supporting LUN zoning on the Nexus 5000.

On the MDS page you linked it say "LUN zoning can only be implemented in Cisco MDS 9000 Family switches. If LUN zoning is implemented in a switch, you cannot configure interop mode in that switch."

-> And that's why it does not work on a single Nexus. You can configure it on a MDS and the Nexus supports it but thats all.

I guess no chance here for me :-(

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: