Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest anchor WLAN and DHCP

lee.messenger
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I am trying to setup a guest WLAN using a local controller and  a controller in my DMZ using the mobility-anchor configuration.

Ideally I'd like to use an external DHCP server in my DMZ, but for now, I'd be happy getting the local DHCP server on the DMZ controller working.

Local Controller config

Configured mobility-groups, verified mobility group is working

Created WLAN called "guest" - assigned it to the management interface.

Have tried the following with regards to DHCP on this WLAN.

Set it to "override" and specified the DMZ controller's mangement interface

Set DHCP to "assignment required" and specified the DMZ controller's management interface for the DHCP server for the local controller's management      interface

Left DHCP server blank on the local controller's management interface

Setup the DMZ controller as the mobility anchor for the "guest" WLAN

DMZ controller config

Configured mobility-groups, verified mobility group is working

Created WLAN called "guest"

Created a dynamic interface called "guest" associated to the "guest" WLAN

Setup mobility anchor for the "guest" interface,  mobility-anchor = local controller

Created an internal DHCP server scope and enabled it

Have tried the following with regards to DHCP on the "guest" WLAN

Set DHCP to "assignment required" and specified the IP address of the controllers management interface as the DHCP server on the "guest"      dynamic interface

Set DHCP to "assignment required" and specified the IP address of the  controllers "guest" dynamic interface as the DHCP server on the "guest"       dynamic interface

Set DHCP to "override" and specified the DMZ controller's management interface IP

Set DHCP to "override" and specified the DMZ controller's "guest" interface IP

After all this,  my client still cannot get an IP address via DHCP.  I verfiied the client is associating to the AP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

1 Reply 1

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

on the DMZ controller, what is the output of a debug client < mac address of the client>  You may also want to capture debug mobility handoff enable, from both WLC.

For the guest, the DHCP is going to come from the DMZ controller, so there is no real need to configure anything on the internal WLC.  One thing of note, the WLAN config on both the DMZ and Internal must match exactly with the exception of the linked interface, otherwise you will not anchor.

while runnign the debug, show dhcp proxy, for the WLC to be the DHCP server, proxy needs to be enabled.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: