cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which L2 switch to recommend?

Franjo Pongrac
Level 1
Level 1

Customer would like to install some Voice equipment in their network. They decided to use L2 aggregation switches, which will be connected to the uplink routers.
Switches must be VLAN capable and have some QoS features. All equipment is connected with optical SFPs.
I recommended them to use 3560. I was working many times with these switches and they absolutely match the role described above.

However customer would like to save some money and now I am asked is there any L2 switch (since they do not need L3 features) which will also have optical ports?
I was searching the Cisco products site and found 2960 but these are with Electrical ports only...
Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why not just go with the 3560's with LAN base (no layer 3)?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why not just go with the 3560's with LAN base (no layer 3)?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Switches must be VLAN capable and have some QoS features.

How many VLANs do you have in mind and what QoS are required?

However customer would like to save some money and now I am asked is there any L2 switch (since they do not need L3 features) which will also have optical ports?

How many SFP/optical ports are you looking for?

I was searching the Cisco products site and found 2960 but these are with Electrical ports only

What do you mean by "electrical ports"?  Currently we are using the newer 2960S because they support 10Gb (particularly the "D" suffix) and stacking.  Perfect when you have multiple switches in a cabinet but very limited fibre uplink cables.  If you want robust QoS, LAN Base is the way to go but you can also choose a lower model with LAN Lite.  Choose well because if you can't upgrade from LAN Lite to LAN Base.

How many VLANs do you have in mind and what QoS are required? -->> Not more than 20; customer didn't yet required any specific QoS features, but I meant on something like 1P3Q2T (4Q2T) or at least CoS assign capable.

How many SFP/optical ports are you looking for? -->> At least 8.

What do you mean by "electrical ports"?  -->> Fast/Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45, Cat5/6 port (but all equipment is using optical ports).

Many thanks for you help.

BR,

Franjo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card